Re: [RC] Stumbling horse - Horse ElinoreL.Tonsor

Title: Re: [RC]   Stumbling horse
I guess I'd be concerned about this stumbling.  Don't know where you're from, and if EPM is an issue in your area, but if it is, take note of other behaviors.  (Tremors, loss of balance in pasture, evidence of pain) EPM is very treatable, especially if it is treated early.  My mare demonstrated something was wrong with her by not being able to canter.  Dr. Beecher became suspicious of EPM, but testing for it is not very conclusive, so we waited and watched.  One witnessed episode of the tremors and stumbling out in pasture a week or so later, and we treated her, using the Ohio University protocal.  100% recovery.  So, just be aware of the disease and watch for more symptoms.

Elinore Tonsor

From: "Sky Ranch" <skyranch@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:51:30 -0500
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Stumbling horse

I've searched the archives for this subject and didn't come up with many posts.  So hopefully I'm not repeating a topic by asking this question.

At a ctr ride this past weekend, my horse was stumbling - a LOT.  He almost went to his knees twice.  Otherwise, he was just fine, he drank at every creek we crossed, eagerly ate, was peeing and pooping.  Acted just fine, would readily trot and canter when I asked him to.  But, stumbling.  So I slowed down, I don't feel confident riding a stumbling horse.  Ended up being overtime and pulled from the ride, which I would have done anyway with his stumbling, even if we hadn't been OT.

He had his shoes reset about a week and a half before the ride, by the same farrier I've used for over a year.  There have been no other changes, in feed or whatever.  Same saddle, bridle, bit, etc. I've been using.  His HR, gut sounds, pulse, everything was normal for him.  One thing, though, that I've noticed recently is that he seems to be a little thinner than I would expect.  He has excellent appetite though, and I've increased his feed.  He gets senior pelleted (complete) feed, plus rice bran, and free choice grass hay.

One thing, though, is that I have not ridden very much this summer, due to my not having a horse trailer.  Could his stumbling be due to being less "in condition" than he should have been?

By the way, about a week before the ride, I went for a short ride on a gravel road, had been riding about 15 minutes, at a walk.  He fell to his knees while walking.  Felt like I was on a camel that had just "bowed" - I didn't come off but it was very uncomfortable with him going down so suddenly.  He immediately got up and kept walking.  I stopped him and checked his knees to see if he'd been cut, but he was fine.  He didn't act like it hurt him at all, and he was eager to keep going.  I didn't ride much more, about an hour.  The following day I rode him 10 days in the same trail, and road, area, and he never stumbled at all.  Then we go to the ride and he's stumbling all over the place.

Anyone have any ideas?  What is going on with my boy?  Btw, he's a 17 yr old Arabian.

Thank you for any advice.

Carla Richardson
Colorado