Re: [RC] Rider Drugs - Tiffany D'Virgilio

I know this is a late reply to the topic, but it was on my other computer. I'm not the person in question, but I've had two bad falls (one helicopter ride) and my back and neck are severely compromised from a work injury moving patients in the hospital.? ?
I've also just had that nasty surgery where they screwed up and put the hole in my bladder and I have hyperthyroidism that is uncontrolled. I'm 37, and don't plan on sitting on the couch forever. I'll admit it, I take vicodin all through every ride. It's prescribed and I have to take it almost daily. It doesn't impair me mentally, just takes the edge off the pain. When you have real and severe pain the drugs don't make you high, they make you functional. I'm sorry, but I ride for completion and joy, and I am not taking the meds to get high. I'd love not to take them at all, but I have to. I wouldn't even be able to do a 25 without drugs. Sad, but true. Should I be banned? I don't think so-this is a amateur sport, one where the prize is pride in your ride, the condition of your mount and a T-shirt. Would you really take riding away from someone who has done it all their life and sadly lives a life with constant pain??
I still surf, play volleyball and softball, swim and ride-if I stopped doing those things I'd be heartbroken. If I have to take meds to do it, so be it. I don't intend to stop living and succumb to constant pain. I refuse to give in and become an invalid , I am going to live my life to the fullest. I hope Kat and the rest of you never need the drugs I do to just feel normal-it's easy to skewer someone for taking prescribed drugs when you don't walk in their shoes. Or ride in their saddle.?
Tiffany