Re: [RC] Coolers - Sisu West Ranch

I don't know where you are, but we rode in the Midwest for many years.  We rode in cold, snow, cold rain, and sometimes when the weather was good.  The worst was rain at any temperature lower than hot.  We understand how at Aachen horses could develop slight lameness at the end of a hold.

If you look in the average MN or WI horse trailer you will find an enormous stack of coolers and blankets.  Some are canvas, some are wool, some are Polar Fleece, and some are so old that they defy fiber description.  At a cold, rainy vet check you will find that the horses have everyone on.  It is quite a sight.

I guess my advice is to purchase a neat attractive one and add it to your collection.

My personal favorite water proof one is linin canvas (not used much now, they usually are cotton) with a "shoddy"* lining.  We also use the cheapest cotton canvas ones treated, at home, with Thompson's Water Seal.  These are placed over an insulating blanket.

Tack swaps are a good source of old, ugly, but servicable blankets and coolers.

*Before the American Civil War (War of Northern Aggression, for Ridecampers from below the Mason Dixon Line) "shoddy" only meant reprocessed wool, which is great for linings.  In the textile industry it still means that, but because some Union contractors cheated and made uniforms from it (they  fell apart) it picked up the common meaning of poor quality.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875