[RC] OT Save the Internet - Karen Standefer

I know this is off topic, but it does have the capacity to adversely affect this board (and we’ve seen the evidence this week with AOL’s tricks), so I’m hoping that John and Steph will forgive me.

The threat to free enterprise on the internet is very real.  It comes to vote this November.  There is a lot of lobbying by Google, Amazon, Expedia, IACI and many other large eCommerce sites to stop the bill.  However, the companies backing it are mega companies and have a lot of $$$ and pull.  If they get their way, we will loose our free speech and freedom to go where we please on the internet as well they will be selectively choosing what comes to our email box according to the $$ they receive from the sender (speaking of SPAM mail here, not your personal email unless it comes from a corporation domain name).  As well, many smaller business (that cannot afford to pay the big guy’s taxes) will go out of business.  This includes companies that are providing alternative phone services like Lingo, Vonnage, etc.

Please re-evaluate your choice of internet provider and consider supporting the little guy instead of the biggies (the Bells, AOL, Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Earthlink, etc).  If you can find the time, please read the information at www.savetheinternet.com.  Especially this link as well as the links the stories refer to (you’ll get the details about what YOUR ISP has done so far that could impact you dramatically in the future):  http://www.savetheinternet.com/=threat

http://www.freepress.net/news/13604

http://www.freepress.net/news/14860

http://www.freepress.net/news/14960

http://www2.dearaol.com/blog

My intent is not to start a big discussion, but to raise awareness so that you can do your own research.

Please forgive the off topic, political nature of this thread.

Karen