[RC] Easyboot questions - Dream Weaver

At 10:22 AM 8/21/2006, you wrote:
When I trotted her out for the vet, she said my mare brings her hind legs inwards a little when she trots and it seemed it was the screws on the boots catching her fetlock. Do the boots change a horse's way of going? I guess if she is barefoot normally, she doesn't really have anything to catch herself with...
Hi Lysane,
It depends on the horse -- if she is traveling close already then the amount the boot sticks out could be causing interference. Often with more time in the boots the horses will learn to stop hitting themselves. If she is specifically hitting the screw, put a couple of layers of duct tape over it and that might help. You could also use ankle boots for the time being.

Would using a cotter pin end some of that struggle with trying to get the wire just right? Or is there a trick to getting the buckle to go down when it is tight? I don't want to break the buckle either.

I never got along well with the cotter pins ;). There are several ways to adjust the cables. Here is a link that has photos showing most of the ways: http://easycareinc.typepad.com/karen/2006/06/cable_adjustmen.html Getting the cable adjusted as tight as possible while still allowing the cable to go in the bottom groove on the buckle has worked best for me -- I think the way the cable is tensioned that way helps to hold it down, and reduces cable fray. The easiest way to get the buckle back up is with a pointy ended hoofpick, just slip the pointed end under the bottom of the buckle and pop it up. It's a lot easier than using a flathead screwdriver or regular hoofpick.

I've been experimenting with other ways to keep regular Easyboots on a formerly Easyboot Challenged horse (that would be Chief) and have been doing really well keeping them on him. He previously couldn't keep regular Easyboots on even if they were foamed on, or over shoes for that matter, and now I've been keeping four boots on him with no shoes underneath, and haven't had a single one come off. I've even turned him out in them and had him in the muddy pasture and they still haven't come off. Yay :)

Karen