[RC] interesting thing with feed - Chris Paus

About a month ago, I switched my horses over from Kent Senior to Nutrena Safe Choice. I have such air ferns, I was told it would be good for them. But, the experiment is over. I'm going back to kent Sr. for everybody, even the non seniors! with 9 horses and limited time, everybody gets the same thing, just different amounts.

It's what I've been feeding everyone for two years and they've done really well on it.

They've been on safe choice for a month and my riding horses are just slugs! They lose their energy after about a half hour and just plod along. It's happened with Star, Ali and Zab, all of whom have distance riding experience and lots and lots of trail miles. I don't know what's in Safe choice that slows them down so, but I don't like it.

It's nice to not have Star leaping about, but it's not good to have his spark gone! Ali too. She was her self for about a half hour today and then it was plod plod plod. On dirt trail, no rocks. easy terrain. And the last week or so, it hasn't been as horridly hot, so I can't blame it on the heat. Today was in the upper 70s when I rode. Ali should have been a ball of fire in those temps. She was energetic for a couple of miles and then, bam, nothing.

I like Kent feeds because they have a "locked" formula. If you look at the ingredients of most commercial feeds, the first ingredient is "grain by products." This could be anything. They use whatever is cheapest on the market as long as they can get their percentages of protein, vits and mins.

Kent tells you the exact grain products used and percentages.

Anyone else have this with Safe choice, or are my horses just weird?

Oh, their other feeds are pasture grass and brome hay. Same diet as always. They have the same worming schedule as always. The only thing that has changed is the feed, which the riding horses get very little of becuase they are easy keepers.

chris