Re: [RC] [Heidi & Kat] Endurance lines and breeding endurance horses - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Fantastic thread! Thanks to both of you for your contributions. It's great
to hear from the real old-timers, too.

Wrt buying endurance horses, is it not true that the average, majority of,
endurance riders like me don't know jack squat about bloodlines and
breeding, possibly not even much about conformation? And, knowing nothing,
we are unlikely to contribute to the social Darwinism of correct and
responsible breeding?

Are there enough serious competitors in the US to sustain excellent breeding
programs? I do think someone, Heidi I think, nailed it when she said that
the US breeders lack the state-sponsored support  and subsidies that many
foreign breeders enjoy. My experience w/ elite/Olympic athletes both in the
US and Europe hums the same refrain. To paraphrase an old 60s bumper
sticker, "What if breeders got federal funding and the Pentagon had to have
a used tack sale?"

I find myself a) about to buy my first horse in the next year or so; b)
wanting to support good breeders the way I support organic farmers--not
because I think organic foods are healthier, or programmatically bred horses
are the only good horses, but b/c I appreciate people who try to do the
Right Thing. As someone pointed out, if I buy a great gelding 5th hand, I am
not exerting selection pressure on the best genes.
  In truth, I am looking for my Soul Horse. For me, the relationship is
everything. So the first thing I look at in a horse is his eye. Does s/he
have that big, sweet, lustrous, intelligent, tuned-into-me eye like my
current old, leased Arabian mare? For conformation, I look, indirectly of
course, at his amygdala and pre-frontal cortex--that is, temperament. Is he
the type that easily bucks, rears, spooks, lays his ears back, bites,
withdraws and checks out? Is there a heart connection there, even if it's
not love at first sight? I haven't seen these things mentioned in this
thread at all.
  Being new to horses and feeling too old and inexperienced to learn to
train a young horse, I will be looking for a seasoned horse that can
comfortably do 50s and 100s. I imagine my process will be something
like--find a horse with that Eye and heart vibe and at least 1 100 and have
Michelle Roush or Melissa Ribley do a conformation eval and pre-purchase
vetting.
 If you know of some other way to both support good breeding programs and
find my Soul Horse, I would gladly attempt to do so.

The other thing that concerns me is the frequent references in the wonderful
book, "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, to the unintended
consequences of breeding for desired traits--rapist roosters, ASH (heart
disease) cats, dogs with hip dysplasia. Are we producing Franken-horse too
at some turns?
---
Also: Is there a list of all the initials from breeding programs? Many of
the ride results in Endurance News and other places list horses as "SMR
Fifi" etc. But AERC apparently doesn't have an abbreviation key and Google
turns up nada. Anyone know where there's an abbreviation key to Arabian
ranches and breeders?

Beverley