[RC] Arabian Bloodlines - Cunningham, Marci

I am enjoying the posts on Arabian bloodlines immensely.  My current endurance mount is a Witez II great grandson on the sire side, via Kosciusko via Koszar.  When I first looked at Koszar with the idea of breeding to him, I was taken aback by his bone and sturdiness even in his old age.  Koszar made his mark on the Arabian racing scene and did a few endurance rides later in his life.  Koztarr has the bone and sturdiness of his father and when I first started riding him some of the people I met on the trail thought he was either part or all quarter horse.  When I bred my latest endurance prospect I was very interested in the Aulrab / Aurab lines.  I was fortunate to find a local stallion that was an Aulrab son out of a mare that was Aulrab’s half sister.  That is both his sire and dam had the same dam.  I think this practice is okay for horses even though it is frowned upon when used by Homo sapiens.  While Aul Magic has never done an endurance ride I knew that his pedigree was well represented in horses that had been very successful endurance performers.  I bred my half Arabian Sierra Fadwah daughter to him and am very pleased with the resulting filly.  While I knew she would have good movement and athleticism, my biggest fear was too much white on the face and legs as these CMK horses seem to produce chestnut horses with lots of chrome.  The chrome is there but it isn’t too much by my standards and her personality and athleticism far outweigh any color drawbacks.  Her size is coming from her dam side and she is a little bigger than I had hoped but I rode her mother for 3,000 endurance miles.  I am looking forward to riding this filly for many endurance miles, and her pedigree can’t hurt her chances for success.

Happy Trails,

Marci Cunningham

Bakersfield CA