[RC] WEG update late Friday (2 days before the race) - appalucie

 Oops, forgot to put in a Subject in  the Subject line.. must be tired I guess...

The race is scheduled for Monday.  Folks are starting to gear up.  Grace has been showing me around the countryside looking for the vetchecks. We found all of them!  Thanks to Larry Kanavay for the directions.  Today the riders are resting the horses, yesterday they rode the red loop and we met them on the trail at one of the crew points... Practice makes perfect.

 I think of all the countries, Belgium, of what I've seen of it, is the most quaint.  I'll try to snap a few photos, tomorrow.
Tomorrow we move into the stables at the ride headquarters, called "The Venue", don't ask me why it's called that. All 6 horses will be moved to the new stables and then the hard decision of who will compete in the race will be made by the  US Team Officials.  I'd sure hate to make that decision. One rider will not be chosen as the best of the 6 horses will be chosen to compete, and the 4 best will be picked for the team and 1 individual rider.  (All you FEI people, jump in and correct me if I'm wrong).

 We can have 4 horses on a Team and 1 rider will ride as an individual.  That individual rider does not contribute to the team placing.  The team has to complete 3 our of 4 team horses, for us to have  a "Team completion", then the team with the fastest time wins the gold medal and down the line it goes.  If you finish less than 3 team horses, sorry, you will not even enter the team standings.  That team is considered "out"

Today the horses rested, I think the Kathy may have been the only one to go out for a short hack on the local trails.  Everyone is keyed up, anticipating the move to the stables, and making plans for what to take to the vet check and what to send with the crewing vehicles. (Road Crew).

 Today I ran out to pick up some items for Larry Kanavy.  This without  one word of German other than : "I speak English, Do you speak English? Please, Thank you and large" <as in Large beer>  (Grose) , oh and  here's a few more.." hello, good bye and where's the toilet?"  Hint,   A "D" means it's for women!  Found that out the hard way!

Anyway, Two of us were sent out to find, 2 5 gallon water jugs, (Gerry Cans, they used to be called), 100 or so 6-8 inch wire ties or cable ties, and 4 funnels.  Guess what?  We found everything in only 2 stores, a Home Depot type store and our ever present WALMART.  You should have seen what Chris (who volunteered to go with me) had to do to explain a Funnel.  Too funny.  It was like a scavenger hunt, but with out the ability to ask where things are found.  But we got there and back, no problem. When  I told Larry that we were successful and that  he even had change coming back to him, he was surprised, he said: "Funny I never get change back from Valerie, when I send her out to pick up things!"

Tomorrow, once we move to the stables, everything will move in a blur.  Sunday, we have to have the horses "Inspected", < an official term>, for checking in the horses, metabolic checks and lameness exams will be conducted.  Usually a straight out and back trot out.  Then the opening ceremony Sunday afternoon.  This seems more rushed than usual, as the Endurance part of the WEG, has  often been  held later during the 2 week time period of the entire WEG (World Equestrian Games).

One of our riders, Kathy Downs will be one of the 2 US flag bearers for the Opening ceremony, quite an honor for us Endurance folks.
 I'll tell you how they made the decision this year, they picked the youngest and the oldest.  The youngest is age 10 and is a vaulter, the other Kathy, whose age shall not be discussed.

Well, it's late again and I'm still up playing on the computer.   Much More later.. The fun continues.