RE: [RC] Rider Drugs - Joann

THEN...The subject of human DRUGS... is broached and from
the sounds of things, at least a modicum of posting ride campers
indulge in the use of fairly strong pain medications before, during
and after a ride.
a number of people here have said that they couldn't do it at all if
they didn't drug themselves
Since so many people here have said that they couldn't do it at all, or
that their riding is vastly improved by drugging themselves, you aren't
going to be able to convince me that the outcome o endurance rides is
substantially affected by the routine drugging of the participants.  -=-=-=

*  Well YEA!
You can BET the rides would be "substantially affected" !!

*    Many participants probably wouldn't even show up let alone leave home!
They would instead be at home on the sofa watching "Extreme Cowboy Race" on
RFDTV wishing they were out there participating! With all the talk about
numbers declining already- hey, let them bring their "crutch"! Some people
need medication just to go into their garden and pull weeds.
 We aren't talking about paid athletes here. Isn't endurance riding suposto
be an enjoyable event for the "regular Joe" type people to participate in?
Yes some are more competitive than most but in the end there isn't a big bag
of money waiting for the winner at the finish line.
  I believe the drugs they are referring to are prescribed or legal over
the counter to relieve pain and stiff joints and other conditions which
normally come with age and/or diseases. How many here have taken a few
aspirin for a headache pain to "improve their performance" at work, play or
whatever.
Sometimes I need a few aspirin just to get through reading all the
bickering here!- Just kidding.
Many people in their later years and/or with medical conditions need
prescribed medication for arthritis etc.. Just to  function NORMALLY!
"Performance enhancing" to them YES- if the alternative is to be home bound
because of the pain and limited mobility.
  I am 43 and some mornings, in the winter especially, it takes a few cups
of coffee and as much as 5 aspirin in 3-4 hours to loosen up my stiff joints
and not feel like a 90 year old. (No offence to the 90 year olds out there
K?) Sometimes the pain in my joints wake me at night- I haven't seen a
Doctor about this yet but am going to need to soon- only to find out what is
going on in there. It isn't interfering with functioning normally yet but
I'm sure by the time I'm in my 70's (No offence to the 70 year olds out
there K?) if not  sooner I may need drugs to "enhance my performance" too  -
Possibly just so I can dress myself let alone ride a horse!
 Also I have a 43 year old (non endurance) friend who is medically disabled
because she has "tremors"- a condition she has suffered from most of her
adult life.. Without her medication she cannot even hold a cup without
slopping the liquid all over the place let alone keep from dropping it -
Even her eyeballs shake! I let her ride our 7 year old grade gelding with me
once or twice a month when I ride our 3 year old Arab on short rides around
the neighborhood  to desensitize him to dogs, people and traffic. Even with
her medication she couldn't do an LD but she badly wishes she could. I would
hate to imagine how confused our gelding would be if her hands and body were
shaking all over if she didn't have her "drugs"- So Yes- it "enhances her
performance". This is just an example of what I think these people are
talking about. And as for the light attitude about drugs  - they are just
making light of their situation. A much better attitude to have than self
pity.
*
Why are some people here so quick to jump to conclusions and blow
everything out of proportion  and flame away just because some people don't
have the time to write a carefully worded detailed 3 page story to make
themselves clear.
*
 I may soon start conditioning our  grade gelding for the up coming "Land
of the Sun ride" in Wickenburg Arizona for our very first ever LD.
We also have a 3 year old Arabian Gelding who we raised since he was 5
months old.  And I hope to ride him in the 2008 "Land of The Sun" Ride (LD).
If I get hooked I might consider riding him in the 100 in Ridgecrest CA. (
Ridgecrest is the closest 100 to me and also is my birthplace). ( when I'm
50- not in 2008-He would have over 5 years of conditioning by than. - so no
need to flame me K?)

*  My feelings are easily hurt so I often hold back asking questions and
especially sharing my experiences here as well as other message boards in
fear of being flamed from someone analyzing every word and blowing things
out of proportion simply because I might leave out a few details.
I know of others who are intimidated this way as well. It is sad that many
of us "newbies" feel we can't share on here without feeling like we will
later have to defend something we say. A endurance friend of mine recently
e-mailed me sharing a heartwarming experience with her horse. I asked her
why she didn't share it on ridecamp- Her answer - she was concerned she
would be flamed. Too bad- it was a sweet story, too bad others couldn't have
enjoyed it just because of those who seem to be at the edge of their office
chairs, engines revving up just waiting to judge and criticize the next post
coming through.
I, as she did, usually avoid that rodeo by  e-mailing my questions and
comments  directly to a few trusted individuals.. Unfortunately the
information in the answers sent to me could be valuable to other "newbies"
on the list if our discussions were shared here instead of on a
private-mails. Sad that many avoid sharing here because they worry about
being flamed.
Maybe some people could use some "mental medication"  to lighten up.
Perhaps if those people would learn to simply ask for more details and get
all the facts before jumping the gun and judging and flame throwing. I know
everyone gets critical sometimes- some more than others- just need to
remember the words on here are not computer generated- they are from real
people with feelings and sometimes a little more compassion and empathy is
in order.
Ok- off my soap box and probably on to the chopping block .

* Joann-  in Arizona