RE: [RC] Rider Drugs - Spencer, Maryann LTC USSOCOM USASOC

A BIG 'AMEN' TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of steelsidedown
Sent: Wed 8/16/2006 9:26 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Rider Drugs

> I am having a hard time figuring out how this is any different
> (philosophically) from major league baseball players using steroids to
> improve their batting averages...except that in endurance riding there
> aren't any rules against it.

Hmmmm let me stab at that...

First, about $100k a year.

Second, they are athletes in the truest sense of the word, and hired for there abilities.  The vast majority of us are backyard pleasure trail riders that enjoy a little competition and having our time in the saddle/miles count for something.  Most of us aren't out to win or even top ten.  Remember riding becuase its FUN?!?

Third,  how many 60yo batters are out there?  Cancer survivors? Joints replaced? Missing limbs?

Fourth, if that baseball player gets tired/sore it hurts his personal performance, not the performance (and comfort) of another creature.

Fifth, how long does the average baseball game last?  Oh and does that batter pack his own rig, drive 6-8 hours, unpack, rush to vet check + meeting, sleep 2 hours in a cold/hot horse trailer, and then go at it for 12 hours?

Six, this is the only body I'll ever have, would have been nice if it was perfect to start with and never sustained a major injury, however thus is life, you must enjoy it to the fullest with the body you are given!

Jen