[RC] Marie, camper cat at Tevis. - Evelyn Allen/Patrick Allen

   I am writing to let you know that Teddy Lancaster’s cat, Marie, was killed on the 9th of August by guard dogs. Many of you saw Marie at the Tevis ride. We always see dogs at the rides but it is very unusual to see a cat. She was a beautiful calico cat, very friendly and personable. Teddy had had her for many years, a constant companion. There is a tribute to her on Teddy’s website, www.runningbear.com  on the Everything Else page.

   We have special memories of Marie as I am allergic to cats but can pet them and be near them in an outdoor situation. Marie would come over and sit next to my chair and wait to be petted. We watched in awe as Marie climbed the steps into our motorhome and went inside. I knew my dog Lenny (who is blind in one eye, cataract in the other and very hard of hearing)  was inside and held my breath getting to the door. Lenny was asleep and never knew she was there. I slowly backed out the door and watched as Marie came back out licking her lips after tasting Lenny’s dog food. We had a big laugh. I told Teddy about it and she said Marie had never done that before and she guessed she had adopted Pat and I. Marie did the same thing the next day, with the same results.

   It’s really sad when our animals die, we morn them like the family they are. Please no flames or mutterings about keeping your animals inside or making sure nothing happens to them. Things happen that are beyond our control no matter how careful we try to be. Grief, is there, no matter how the death happened.

Remembering Marie,

Evelyn and Pat