[RC] LDs vs Endurance - Equus Wolf

>>>>>>>NO, if someone does LD rides for
20
years, they are still not an endurance rider and their horse is not an
endurance horse.  This is not to be mean or arrogant or to put anyone
down...it's a fact.  If I run 3K s six times per year for 20 years I am
STILL NOT A MARATHONER.  I do know know why this concept is so
difficult
or why it is even open to discussion.  Someone please help me
understand...Cindy

Interesting discussion..

Having recently completed my first LD July 8th at the Carolina Moonlight, one week before I had a VP shunt placement surgery for Intracranial Hypertension, I'm going to voice my 2cents worth.  I don't think I am an "endurance rider" and I don't think my horse is an "endurance horse" because we've ridden in an LD ride, nor do I think we would be considered as such if we did them forever.  What I do tell people is that I am conditioning myself and my horse for endurance.  I plan to ride in LD rides this season and probably most of next season or until I feel we are both ready to move up to 50mile endurance rides, whenever that time comes.  I don't care what you call me, endurance rider, not an endurance rider, a pansy, whatever.  I love it, I love the trail, the excitement, the gathering of horse people, my horse loves the extra food, she could do without the bugs, I love the Tshirt, and I'm basically addicted.
So watch out because it won't be too long before I am an endurance rider and it won't be too long before I fall out of the heavyweight division into the middleweight division and my Paint mare loves to GO! :)
Happy riding everyone!
Jen in SC
Shelby (woohoo let's GO!  Do we have to use the kimberwick!  I can go faster if we use the snaffle *wg*)