Re: [RC] Define "An Endurance Rider"? - Joe Long

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:41:11 -0500, "Patricia Israelson"
<mspattykirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To those of you who are "discussing" whether Limited Distance riders should be
considered to be Endurance Riders;

I have been reading on Ride Camp the opinions of many of you - both pro and
con.  I would ask you to check your current August issue of Endurance News.
On page 55, EN lists the "National Limited Distance Mileage Championship"  In
the Junior Division, Jordan Israelson is in second place.  She is nine years
old and has been doing Endurance Rides for three years now.  This is her
second year to be nationally ranked in the EN.  Also, in June of ' 05, she was
on the cover of the magazine.  Every time we start out on a ride, the first
thing she wants to know is if we are in the top 10. She is planning on doing
her first 50 mile ride next month.  I have kept her in the Limited Distance
rides up until now because, as her sponsor, I want to be sure that she was
REALLY ready to move up to 50's.  Jordan considers herself to be an Endurance
Rider and she rides an Endurance Horse. The welfare of her horse, riding the
trails, encouraging other new riders, and making friends are her priorities.
Many of the riders and vets here in the Central Division know who this little
girl and her one-eyed horse are.  She is the future of our sport, as are all
the other new riders who are starting out in the Limited Distance category.
Which one of you legalists would like to tell her that she's not a "real"
Endurance Rider yet?

First of all, you have an error.  If you've kept her in Limited
Distance, she has not been doing Endurance Rides for three years now.

If you'd like, I would be happy to explain to her that you become an
endurance rider by riding an endurance ride, which must be at least 50
miles in one day.  And I will encourage her to do this when she's
ready, and congratulate her when she achieves it.  It will mean so
much more to her if she understands what she's really accomplishing.

I don't believe that children are such fragile creatures that you have
to hide the truth from them, or tell them what you think they'd like
to hear.  Real kindness lies in honesty and genuine respect.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx