Re: [RC] call it Endurance? - Joe Long

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:31:08 -0600, "Steph Teeter"
<stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cindy says: I don't care what the LD riders call themselves as long as
it's not "endurance." >>>

The rest of the world calls all of the distances Endurance. The distances
are all part of the sport of Endurance Riding.

Do they?  That's news to me.  Do you have any references to support
that?

Yes, I know we're not the rest of the world,

That's for sure.

but IMO this is such a silly
semantic difference (which has a polarizing effect on the membership).

Ah, the "it's only semantics."  The thing is, words do mean something.
And in defining what our sport is, they mean something pretty
important.

And the only "polarizing effect" I see is from a FEW LD riders who
want to be considered endurance riders, without riding endurance
rides.  Who want to "talk the talk" without "walking the walk."
Fortunately, I believe they are only a small minority.

And
the difference is derived from a single AERC BoD motion years ago that
determined that AERC would sanction distances under 50 miles, but only if it
was called 'Limited Distance'. At some AERC meeting, a majority of people
who at that time made up the AERC BoD cast one vote to sanction mileages of
35 to 25 as Limited Distance. This vote determined that 50 miles and up
would be called 'endurance' and 25-35 miles would be called 'limited
distance'. (an odd name). Things change, people change. The important thing
is that the essence of the sport remains the same, and that we are all
working together to preserve the sport and protect the horses.

Not quite correct.  The definition of 50 miles or more in one day was
the original definition in the AERC Bylaws.  Some of us feel that
definition is a little short -- I for one would rather have endurance
rides defined as at least 60 miles per day, perhaps 75.  But it has
enough history behind it now that I know there is no chance that it
will ever be raised.

The 25 - 35 mile rides were called "Novice Rides" but when the AERC
decided to include these rides in its programs, that name was
considered unsuitable, as not everyone who rides them are novices.  So
we came up with the name Limited Distance rides and added them to the
Bylaws.  Changing the Bylaws requires a vote of the full membership.

I am personally in favor of calling all of the distances Endurance riding.
Get rid of 'Limited Distance'.  Call it Novice level, or Introductory
endurance, or something which is meaningful, but for heavens sake it's all
still the sport of Endurance Riding. Wouldn't it be simpler for all of us to
say we are Endurance riders, even if some days we ride 100 miles, and some
days only 30 miles? It's about the preparation and the challenge and
accomplishment, not about the particular distance you do on a particular
day.

We have a perfectly good "umbrella" name for our various distances:
long distance riding.  That serves quite well, there is no need to
cheapen the meaning of "endurance riding."

If the US goverment can change names (French Fries to Freedom Fries and back
again to French Fries (last week)) then AERC might be able to do it too:)

I will be quite happy to vote to change the name of Limited Distance
rides, to something appropriate (which means, NOT to endurance rides).
Do you have any suggestions?
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx