[RC] Horse Health Question - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

I apologize in advance for this not being endurance related, really.? A friend’s 10 year old quarter horse mare had a seizure of some kind on Friday.? Here are some details:

1)       Has had mysterious gashes and cuts in the past (tho horses are good for this no matter what)

2)       Foaled about 2 months ago

3)       On hay, water, dry pasture

4)       At about 2 ½ hrs after incident, I got there and gave the horse Banamine; checked heart rate, etc.? Heart rate was 100, from stress and pain, probably/obviously

5)       The vet got there later in the afternoon and took fecal and blood samples (heart rate at that time was 45) and while she didn’t really have much to go on, it seems her blood calcium levels were low and she was hypoglycemic…odd.?

Anyway, the vet is competent but not a nutritionist nor an equine vet exclusively.? I was hoping that the vets (Heidi, Susan G, etc) might be able to make some suggestions or if others have had these issues with a horse, there might be some ideas.? I’m thinking it must be symptoms of something not just isolated issues.? Any thoughts, anyone.? Please feel free to post privately as this is not really endurance stuff.

Jannelle

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

584 Romie Howard Rd.

Yoncalla OR 97499