[RC] Purpose of recognition programs - KimFue

In a message dated 08/07/2006 8:18:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Angie - what happens if it doesn't? We don't even know why the declines
are happening. Now tell me how is a solution gong to solve a problem
unless we understand the cause. We don't have a good ideal why people
are not riding 100's today or what would get them to. This is a solution
looking for a problem - not a well crafted solution to a problem.
Truman, as you and others (AERC) are looking for solutions on how to solve the decline in 100 mile rides, let AERC honor the 100 mile horses that are competing NOW.  A medallion program is not just to stimulate interest in 100s but to recognize horses that are competing at the 100 mile distance NOW.

So, are you against a recognition program that recognizes a horse's lifetime achievement at the 100 mile distance?   I mean, really, do you feel that all miles are equal?  What is the big deal in putting this program forward (while according to you)there are still some 100 mile horses left in AERC rides?

Truman, even if every AERC member felt like you, that no recognition program or medallion program would motivate you to ride 100s again, at least support recognition of the horses doing 100s NOW.  I find it really hard to believe that if you were still doing 100s with your mare that earning a 100 mile medallion would mean nothing to you.  Even if you don't think it is a big deal, it is a way for your peers in endurance riding to honor what your horse has accomplished.   This is very much the same idea of AERC recognizing mileage milestones.  Perhaps a horse getting a 1000 mile chevron/medallion means nothing to the owner who just cares about individual ride placement BUT it certainly reflects what AERC thinks is important in endurance riding.  Has endurance riding and our organization changed so much that AERC no longer considers the 100 mile distance the ultimate challenge?

So, look at a recognition program as a way to honor 100 mile horses and their achievements.  Don't look at it as a way to stimulate interest and growth in the 100 mile distance.  I will leave all the science, research, surveys,  and possible solutions to the 100 mile dilemma to you.  Common sense tells me that with the expansion of AERC and the acceptance of LDs and multidays in the big tent, the 100 mile distance has been ignored and left behind when it comes to recognition and achievement.  Why not make this right while there are still AERC riders that consider the 100 mile distance the ultimate challenge in distance riding?

Kim