[RC] Comments on Tevis - Bruce Weary

I somehow can't help but feel uniquely bonded with John Crandall in his stellar ride on Heraldic. As he made his way to the finish line, I remained stalwartly positioned at the starting line (due to illness, but that's not the point), thus creating a "symmetry" or "balance" that might not otherwise have occured. I require no thanks or recognition for my lack of effort. It's just good knowing we may have helped John and Heraldic in some small way. At least there were two fewer horses on the trail that he didn't have to beat.
In all seriousness, here are some thoughts on accomplishment that I hope put their ride in a grander perspective:
H. Jackson Brown: "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins, not through strength, but by perseverence."
Vince Lombardi: "It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the acheiver, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it."
Napoleon Hill: "Great acheivement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness."
Henry Drummond: "Unless a man undertakes more than he possibly can do, he will never do all that he can."
Robert Anthony: "Waiting is a trap. There will always be reasons to wait. The truth is, there are only two things in life, reasons and results, and reasons simply don't count."
Norman Vincent Peale: "Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that."
Ralph Waldo Emerson: "Every great acheivement is the victory of a flaming heart."
Henry David Thoreau: "We must walk consciously only part way to our goal, and than leap in the dark to our success."
And, finally, my favorite, by Sir James Barrie:"Every man who is high up loves to think that he has done it all himself; and the wife smiles, and let's it go at that."

Congratulations, John Crandall, on bringing Heraldic home so very swiftly, and so very safely. Dr Q, who is now more than motiviated to find McCann in the dark, from the back of a good horse.