[RC] Fwd: [barefoothorsecare] Digest Number 2606 - WRSINOSKY

In a message dated 8/3/06 4:50:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time, barefoothorsecare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Posted by: "gradyhorses@xxxxxxxxxxxx" gradyhorses@xxxxxxxxxxxx coristamiga
Tue Aug 1, 2006 2:04 pm (PST)
If anyone can help rescue these 130 Maverick Spanish Mustangs
(including 7 pregnant mares) from the encroaching fires in Browning,
Montana (just east of Glacier) please contact the owner, Robert, at
(406) 338-7434 (computer may not be working, but email address is
<bbhc@xxxxxxxxxxx> Fire is only 14 miles away from his property with
no sign of diminishing in strength. These Mustangs are part of only
1500 alive in the world today.

Trucks are ready to move them - he just needs people experienced in
rounding up horses, loading them onto the trucks, and getting them out
of the area. More trucks and trailers would also be helpful.

Please cross-post and spread the word to help get these horses to
safety. I know many of you are not in that area, but I'm hoping you
are on lists with experienced horse people in that area, and that you
will cross-post this and send it on to help gather enough help to get
these 130 horses to safety before the fire gets there.

Susan

Only 24 hours to move Mavericks to safety
August 1, 2006 : 12:00 AM
Immediate action required

--- Begin Message ---
Title: Barefoot Horse Care

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Hoof Testers??

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 11:37 am (PST)

When Melia had an abcess my vet used testers and she used the same
amount of pressure all the way around the hoof. When she got to the
abcess she got a reaction.

I wouldn't be using them to make a reaction - I would use them to find
the spot that hurts. They certainly can be misused. I am very
conservative in my trimmming and would be in applying pressure to find
"the spot"-

This leads me to another question... but I'll do it on a separate
thread... Here goes...

-- In barefoothorsecare@yahoogroups.com, "Patty P" <desertridingal@...>
wrote:

> I think they are a waste of money. Squeeze your foot between them to
see if
> it hurts. If you squeeze hard enough it Will hurt, if not, It wont
hurt.
> Some horses are more sensitive than others, so in my opinion the
tester does
> nothing at all.
> Patty

1b.

Re: Hoof Testers??

Posted by: "Elaine LaRochelle" exl01@xxxxxxx   obiewan_one

Wed Aug 2, 2006 11:41 am (PST)

I have seen vets use testers on horses and come up negative then two
days later abscess pop at the same location. Or get a "positive" and
start a treatment regime that in the long run is nothing but expensive
and doesn't help the horse at all. IMO I'd save my money and just soak
the foot and let nature takes its course. Vets digging is usually
counter productive to what we are trying to accomplish here.

JMO Elaine

WQ4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzcyNzg3NDEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTU0Mzg0BG1zZ0lkA
zQ3NDg4BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExNTQ1NDMyOTQ-?act=reply&messag
eNum=47488>
----- Confidentiality Notice -----
This e-mail and any attached documents are for the intended recipient/s only and should be protected against viewing by unauthorized persons. The information herein may have been disclosed from records whose confidentiality is protected by Federal and State Law. Federal regulations prohibit further distribution or copying of this information without permission. If you received this e-mail transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of this information.
2.

When you suspect an abcess... Please - I'd like all views on this...

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 11:38 am (PST)

When you suspect an abcess do you:

A) Dig around and look for it and release the pressure
B) Soak it and poultice it and wrap it - It will resolve it's self
C) Call the vet

3a.

Movement or Stall - 1st couple of painful days of abcess

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 11:40 am (PST)

from what I understand it's movement and asked my friend to leave KSAN
out so he can move around. He was in stall yesterday and the day
before... She put him out in the paddock today..
Please let me know if you would have your horse in or out.
thanks!
Nicci

3b.

Re: Movement or Stall - 1st couple of painful days of abcess

Posted by: "Walt Friedrich" waltf@xxxxxxxxx   waltcf

Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:31 pm (PST)

Nicci wrote:
> from what I understand it's movement and asked my friend to leave KSAN
> out so he can move around. He was in stall yesterday and the day
> before... She put him out in the paddock today..
> Please let me know if you would have your horse in or out.

[Nic, the better for a horse is out where he can move, not confined to a
stall; the best is free-range, meaning paddock available but with run-in
to get out of the weather. However, if keeping him out means he's locked
into a paddock with no shelter and there's a ton of hot sun and very
high temps, IMO he'll be better off kept inside during the worst part of
the day, but there needs to be ventilation and plenty water available.
Understand, I am NOT an advocate of locking a horse into a stall except
for specific, relatively brief periods like for a trim, maybe, or come
dinnertime, but the extreme temps combined with a blazing sun and no
shelter available is pure torture and you've got to pick the better of
two bad conditions.]

Walt

3c.

Re: Movement or Stall - 1st couple of painful days of abcess

Posted by: "Debbie Collins" breezyd23@xxxxxxxxx   breezyd23

Wed Aug 2, 2006 9:23 pm (PST)

Nicci, definitley OUT. Debbie

Nicci <meliasmomma@aol.com> wrote: from what I understand it's movement and asked my friend to leave KSAN
out so he can move around. He was in stall yesterday and the day
before... She put him out in the paddock today..
Please let me know if you would have your horse in or out.
thanks!
Nicci

4a.

Chincoteague foal feet

Posted by: "Jean Whipple" whipple.15@xxxxxxx   jean_alia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 12:27 pm (PST)

Thought this picture might be of interest, you get a pretty good shot
of the foals feet from the bottom and can clearly see that they have
nice concavity and are beveled (first picture on the
page):
http://equinephotographers.org/4um/viewtopic.php?t=4136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Peace,
Jean

4b.

Re: Chincoteague foal feet

Posted by: "Patty P" desertridingal@xxxxxxx   kidsfirst_eap

Wed Aug 2, 2006 1:57 pm (PST)

What a beautiful picture!
Thanks for sending it. At the place I board, there is a 3 month old baby
with overgrown hooves...yes, you guessed it! He is being raised in a stall!
UGGG! It hurts so much to see that!

Thought this picture might be of interest, you get a pretty good shot
of the foals feet from the bottom and can clearly see that they have
nice concavity and are beveled (first picture on the
page):
http://equinephotographers.org/4um/viewtopic
php?t=4136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Peace,
Jean

4c.

Re: Chincoteague foal feet

Posted by: "XV11Star@xxxxxxx" XV11Star@xxxxxxx   xv11star

Wed Aug 2, 2006 2:06 pm (PST)

Oh, Jean, what a sweet photo! :) Beautiful little baby feet. Interesting to see the bevel on the soft footing.

Were you recently there or ...?

Sossity

Thought this picture might be of interest, you get a pretty good shot
of the foals feet from the bottom and can clearly see that they have
nice concavity and are beveled (first picture on the
page):
http://equinephotographers.org/4um/viewtopic.php?t=4136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Peace,
Jean

4d.

Re: Chincoteague foal feet

Posted by: "Kim Cassidy" irishcas@xxxxxxxxxxx   cuhailan

Wed Aug 2, 2006 2:48 pm (PST)

Jean,

Great photos and I love the baby sleeping in the sand, so adorable.

Kim Cassidy
www.clickandtrim.com

5.

Oh, there's a nice shot further down,

Posted by: "Jean Whipple" whipple.15@xxxxxxx   jean_alia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 12:29 pm (PST)

too ;)

Jean
Anthropology
2-4149
6.

Horse Emergency in Montana

Posted by: "Michelle Ives" mives@xxxxxxxxxxxx   shellyct

Wed Aug 2, 2006 1:26 pm (PST)

Posted by: "gradyhorses@atlantic.net" gradyhorses@atlantic.net coristamiga
<bbhc@3rivers.net> Fire is only 14 miles away from his property with
no sign of diminishing in strength. These Mustangs are part of only
1500 alive in the world today.

Trucks are ready to move them - he just needs people experienced in
rounding up horses, loading them onto the trucks, and getting them out
of the area. More trucks and trailers would also be helpful.

Please cross-post and spread the word to help get these horses to
safety. I know many of you are not in that area, but I'm hoping you
are on lists with experienced horse people in that area, and that you
will cross-post this and send it on to help gather enough help to get
these 130 horses to safety before the fire gets there.

Susan

Only 24 hours to move Mavericks to safety
August 1, 2006 : 12:00 AM
Immediate action required

Pictured: Spring Blue Boy

Only 24 hours to move Mavericks to safety

Robert Blackbull is the founder of Black Feet Buffalo Horse Coalition
in Browning, Montana, just east of Glacier. There is a fire burning 14
miles away from his property; it's headed his way with no signs of
diminishing in strength.

Robert has just received his evacuation notice because of the fire. He
has 130 Mavericks on his property; seven are pregnant mares. He has
trucks ready to move them --- he needs people experienced in rounding
up horses, loading them into the trucks and getting them out of the
area. He could also use more trucks to get the animals out --- cattle
trucks would be the best.

If the winds change direction, his ranch could be hit as early as
tomorrow, Aug. 2.

The animals are registered Spanish mustangs, direct descendants from
the days of buffalo runners. Robert said there are 1,500 alive in the
world including the ones on his ranch.

Anyone with experience in handling horses is encouraged to call him to
find out how they help. Those who don't have the experience to help but
know people that do are encouraged to contact those individuals right
away.

This is a dire situation which requires immediate attention. To find
out more information, call Robert at 406-338-7434.

He may also be reached by email (although his computer wasn't working
as of Tuesday afternoon) at bbhc@3rivers.net.

The website for his coalition is:
http://www.buffalohorse.org/

by Amy Abern

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "punky0617" <punky0617@yahoo.com>
> Date: August 1, 2006 3:28:04 PM EDT
> To: Horse-Animal-EmergencyShelter@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Horse-Animal-EmergencyShelter] Montana - Horse Owner Needs
> Help Rescuing Horses From Fire Headed His Way
>
> See the link below for further info and contact info if you can help or
> know someone who can.
>
> http://network.bestfriends.org/montana/news/6443.html
>
> PLEASE CROSSPOST
>
> _

7.

Re: question on venting Epic Horse Boots

Posted by: "free2bhorses" free2bhorses@xxxxxxxxx   free2bhorses

Wed Aug 2, 2006 3:39 pm (PST)

--- In barefoothorsecare@yahoogroups.com, "Nicci" <meliasmomma@...>
wrote:

> I'm sorry you had to let your horses go. Do you get to go see them
> often?
>
> I had to give up a little Palamino mare I had for 10 years - I try
> see her as much as I can - and I usually cry. It's been 4 years now
> since I'd given her away. It's very hard. Dangit! [:(]
>
> As for the epics I believe you can drill holes in the bottoms of
them.
> Not too close together. I would do just a few of them. If you are
doing
> pads you should probably put pad in the boot and drill right
though so
> the holes are together. Hope the horse feels better soon!

Thank you for your answer. Ok, will drill holes in the bottom then.

I am sorry about your mare! I sure do understand the heartache.
Raised the founder boy from a colt. The good news is: They did stay
in the family! No, I do not see them very often.

Thanks again!

Pam

8.

Re: Which hoof Boots?

Posted by: "Lydia" basswrnglr@xxxxxxx   basswrnglr

Wed Aug 2, 2006 3:45 pm (PST)

I use the Old Macs and love them. I have used the old style for about three years and just recently got a pair of G2s for my gelding who needed a slightly different shape. the measurements for the G2 is different than that of the original style. the G2s have some nice improvements but only fit right on a horse who has a narrower foot. the original style fit a rounder foot. Check both measuring charts to get the right kind for the best fit. Unfortunately Jaime Jackson does not speak highly of the Old Macs in his book but in my experience they are very durable, fit well and are easy to put on. I ride all kinds of terrain and my horses move out confidently in them (much more so than they did in metal shoes). I gallop and trot and the horses do not seem to notice they have them on except to move out more confidently. I have two horses in the old style and they never slip on their feet even right after a trim when they are slightly loose. these horses have round feet and one is very flat soled as yours is. That one has had s everal bouts of laminitis in the past and is not sound without her boots. With the Old Macs I ride her for hours anywhere I want to. I used to use a little rim pad that Old Macs makes to put in the boot to get her sole more off the bottom but after three years barefoot she doesn't need that anymore. They also make a nice foam insert you can use. I have never had to use the gators as my horses developed calluses to the straps very quickly but I know some horses have more sensitive skin. My gelding uses the G2s and they seem to be a really good fit for his more oblong foot. I do not ride him hard because he is old but these boots are really nice on him so far. The old style would turn on his foot. I have let several friends try the three sizes I have on their horses and we have found that they are likely to slip if the fit is too tight actually. A little more relaxed fit seems to stay right in place. Hope this helps.
9a.

WALT or Claire- XRAY QUESTION

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 3:56 pm (PST)

Hi Walt

Jake is getting x-rays to find out if there has been rotation in the
left hoof. The owner is going to get both front feet done.

If she had two on each hoof - which angles would you get for a good
read?

Should it be a medial and lateral view?

Thanks,

Nicci

9b.

Re: WALT or Claire- XRAY QUESTION

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:01 pm (PST)

hmmm I sure wish you could edit posts... I meant to say Hi Walt and
Claire!

wrote:

> Hi Walt
>
> Jake is getting x-rays to find out if there has been rotation in the
> left hoof. The owner is going to get both front feet done.
>
> If she had two on each hoof - which angles would you get for a good
> read?
>
> Should it be a medial and lateral view?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicci

9c.

Re: WALT or Claire- XRAY QUESTION

Posted by: "Walt Friedrich" waltf@xxxxxxxxx   waltcf

Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:22 pm (PST)

Nicci wrote:
> Hi Walt
>
> Jake is getting x-rays to find out if there has been rotation in the
> left hoof. The owner is going to get both front feet done.
>
> If she had two on each hoof - which angles would you get for a good
> read?
>
> Should it be a medial and lateral view?

[Hi, Nic -- Looking for rotation calls for a lateral view. Only one shot
on each forefoot is necessary. Leave it up to the vet -- presumably
he/she has done it before and knows just what to do.]

Walt
Co-Moderator

9d.

Re: WALT or Claire- XRAY QUESTION

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:37 pm (PST)

LOL - Ok Walt you're talking to a control freak [#-o]

I'll let her do her job! And the good news is only one shot per foot.
That will make the owner VERY happy!

Thanks - I'll post the X-rays when they are done next week. I look
forward to some trimming tips! [=D>]

Thanks again,

Nicci

--- In barefoothorsecare@yahoogroups.com, Walt Friedrich <waltf@...>
wrote:

> Nicci wrote:
> > Hi Walt
> >
> > Jake is getting x-rays to find out if there has been rotation in the
> > left hoof. The owner is going to get both front feet done.
> >
> > If she had two on each hoof - which angles would you get for a good
> > read?
> >
> > Should it be a medial and lateral view?
>
> [Hi, Nic -- Looking for rotation calls for a lateral view. Only one
shot
> on each forefoot is necessary. Leave it up to the vet -- presumably
> he/she has done it before and knows just what to do.]
>
> Walt
> Co-Moderator

9e.

Re: WALT or Claire- XRAY QUESTION

Posted by: "Julie" founderjunkie5@xxxxxxxxx   founderjunkie5

Wed Aug 2, 2006 10:18 pm (PST)

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the x-ray question. I have
found that A/P views are helpful as well. But if it's a tight
budget, stick with the lateral views. Make sure the horse is
standing square, both front and back. If the vet wants the horse up
on a block, make sure both front feet are up on the blocks at the
same time, while the one foot is being shot.
Julie

wrote:

> Nicci wrote:
> > Hi Walt
> >
> > Jake is getting x-rays to find out if there has been rotation in
the
> > left hoof. The owner is going to get both front feet done.
> >
> > If she had two on each hoof - which angles would you get for a
good
> > read?

10a.

OT-Shoes

Posted by: "Carrie" sunedee_2000@xxxxxxxxx   sunedee_2000

Wed Aug 2, 2006 6:29 pm (PST)

Today I have much more sympathy for my poor horse who I had shod last
year. I had to work at the uranium refinement plant again today. I
had to buy new steel toed shoes to take there or sacrifice my good
ones. There's so much uranium floating around, it gets on your
shoes. If you're shoes show radiation, you can't leave with them.
And eventually just walking around will contaminate your shoes. So, I
bought a seriously cheap pair of steel toes to wear and keep there.
They were pure torture!! And the make of them changed the angle my
foot hits the ground so now my calves and hips are sore. I only had
to walk about a half mile each way to our trailer and back but still,
I've got blisters!! I honestly have so much more empathy for my
horses now!!

Carrie

10b.

Re: OT-Shoes

Posted by: "Nicci" meliasmomma@xxxxxxx   mom4melia

Wed Aug 2, 2006 6:56 pm (PST)

Can you imagine the concusion of walking on steel or iron. I cringe
just thinking about it!

--- In barefoothorsecare@yahoogroups.com, "Carrie" <sunedee_2000@...>
wrote:

> Today I have much more sympathy for my poor horse who I had shod last
> year. I had to work at the uranium refinement plant again today. I
> had to buy new steel toed shoes to take there or sacrifice my good
> ones. There's so much uranium floating around, it gets on your
> shoes. If you're shoes show radiation, you can't leave with them.
> And eventually just walking around will contaminate your shoes. So,
> bought a seriously cheap pair of steel toes to wear and keep there.
> They were pure torture!! And the make of them changed the angle my
> foot hits the ground so now my calves and hips are sore. I only had
> to walk about a half mile each way to our trailer and back but still,
> I've got blisters!! I honestly have so much more empathy for my
> horses now!!
>
> Carrie

11.

seperation in hoof wall

Posted by: "wendy s" farmmamma2@xxxxxxx   wendykcurlies

Wed Aug 2, 2006 9:51 pm (PST)

Hi All,

I have a horse that I am trimming later this week that has multiple seperations throughout his hoof wall.. it started out just one big seperation, not between the wall and the white line, but more between the outer hoof wall and the inner hoof wall.. I wasn't sure how to trim it to encourage it to grow out and not continue to separate.. so at the time I used the seperation to mark where to start my mustang roll.. well months later.. that didn't seem to "cut it".. he now has multiple little seperations all throughout the hoof wall.. if I trim them all out (mustang roll back to the fartherest back -towards the white line-, he will have no hoof wall left..

so.. not sure what to do with that.. trim them out? ignore them? or what.. it seems that if I leave them, the dirt pushing up in them, will continue to cause spliting... but if I trim them out, he is totally on his sole.. this is a sensetive horse that doesn't take to walking on his soles well.. lol.. he does have boots for riding, sometimes they use them, other times they don't..

any insight would be appreciated.. I wish I had pictures but I don't go out there till Friday, and it sure would be great to have a clue as to what to do with them at the time.. will get pictures when I am there for next time..

wendy s
www.windykcurlies.com<http://www.windykcurlies.com/>
12.

Joko - hoof pain and submissive behaviour

Posted by: "Sue Addenbrooke" windhorsesue@xxxxxxxxx   kaipakati

Wed Aug 2, 2006 10:09 pm (PST)

Yesterday I put Joko in OMs and pads, and he's been walking around very
happy all night. Bit of rubbing this morning, so I've taken them off for
the day.
Reread PR's article on navicular, and have all my fingers crossed that this
booting and padding may just bring about a miracle. His owner is totally
hooked this morning and studying PR's website. Yay!!!
I may have said that JOko wasn't eating for the first couple of days here.
He seems to be ultra submissive. Just a glance from horse, me, dog, pig,
even chicken makes him back off from the food and it seems he is clearly
telling us all that he totally understands that nothing here belongs to him,
and he has no intention of challenging that. Yesterday I had a
breakthrough, moving him around a little bit to reassure him that yes, this
is all mine, then inviting him to join me eating. That worked to a point,
but only as long as I stood with him. Bit funny, in such a large and strong
horse!

HOwever.. dah dah!!! After the booting and padding, it seems the ultra
submissive behaviour has gone. He is still a polite gentleman, but now has
the confidence to eat with the other horses. I had noticed that he was
continually licking submissively before too. Even on his, own, his tongue
was almost constantly out. That has stopped.

I'm thinking that chronic hoof pain was giving him a sort of mental round
penning with no escape or release, despite all his signals that he wanted to
submit. Now that it's letting up, he can relate to the other horses more
normally.

Has anyone ever noticed this before?

Here's a butt shot for you tb fans.. not bad for a 24 year old gentleman
huh? Makes my poor Rosie look pathetic.. and she's 16.2 (with issues.. for
those who don't know her, she's way better than this time last year.. she
has summer insect allergies and can't keep the weight on her.)

Oh.. and another butt shot I just couldn't resist.. Charlie, the stall
raised tb colt, and Guei Hua the new pony mum.

Sue
13a.

Re: Vitamin C

Posted by: "vitamail" vitamail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   linsey313

Thu Aug 3, 2006 12:06 am (PST)

Hello Cada,
You have to be careful with Vit C for animals that make their
own...they will stop producing their own and then when you stop the
supplementation, they will develop scurvy.

Linsey
On Jul 30, 2006, at 8:45 PM, willowbyus wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> There was a thread a while back about administering large doses of
> Vitamin
> C for specific conditions. Seems that the discussion also included
> specific
> dosages and a preferred (human grade) type and some mention of possible
> side effects? If anyone remembers/knows which conditions C is
> especially
> effective for and/or dosage amounts, and any cautions, please post or
> email
> me.
>
> Many thanks in advance...
> Cada

13b.

Re: Vitamin C

Posted by: "Sue Addenbrooke" windhorsesue@xxxxxxxxx   kaipakati

Thu Aug 3, 2006 4:49 am (PST)

Hi Linsey, that's a useful tidbit.. How long do you think it would take for
the horse to become reliant on that kind of dose of Vitamin C?
Sue

On 8/3/06, vitamail <vitamail@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello Cada,
> You have to be careful with Vit C for animals that make their
> own...they will stop producing their own and then when you stop the
> supplementation, they will develop scurvy.
>
> Linsey
> On Jul 30, 2006, at 8:45 PM, willowbyus wrote:
>
> > Hi, all...
> >
> > There was a thread a while back about administering large doses of
> > Vitamin
> > C for specific conditions. Seems that the discussion also included
> > specific
> > dosages and a preferred (human grade) type and some mention of possible
> > side effects? If anyone remembers/knows which conditions C is
> > especially
> > effective for and/or dosage amounts, and any cautions, please post or
> > email
> > me.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance...
> > Cada