Re: [RC] Junior points - Joe Long

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:24:44 -0400, merryben@xxxxxxx wrote:

Close Mike but not totally accurate. Katie was in the standings in the west
region when she asked for the letter. Her junior points just disappeared. She
had not ridden unsponsored up to that point and elected to stay a junior for
the rest of the year so as not to lose her placing. All you have to do is ask
for the letter and your points go away. In addition, if you ride as a junior,
say in a ride like Tevis which does not allow you to ride unsponsored until
you are 18, you are just out of luck. You get regular points. Of course the
people in your weight division that are behind you, get fewer points too
because you are getting weight division points, even though you are riding as
a junior. What will happen if a FW and a JR are heading for first place and
the FW decides to let the JR go first to be a nice guy.............Turns out
the JR has a letter, even though he is riding with a sponsor that
day...........First FW goes to the JR and the FW who let him go first is out
of luck.
That will be amusing if and when it happens........

Hmmm, it seems we have a problem here, as current practice does not
comply  with AERC rules.  I didn't trust my memory, I went to the AERC
website and pulled up the pertinent rules, which are:

10.3 An AERC member 14 years or older who has completed 500 miles or
more in the AERC rider mileage program may ride un-sponsored,
but will compete in the senior division.
10.3.1 Such un-sponsored young rider must have on file in the AERC
office a letter by parent or guardian which consents to and requests
un-sponsored status.
10.3.2 The AERC office will then provide a letter for this
un-sponsored young rider verifying 500 miles in AERC rider mileage
program, which letter must be presented to ride management
at check-in or earlier.
10.3.3 Management may choose not to honor the ?un-sponsored
young rider? concept and require all persons under 16 years of
age to have sponsors.

That reads to me that the rider only earns Senior points when riding
un-sponsored, that if the ride does not allow riding un-sponsored (or
the Junior decides to ride sponsored for a given ride) then the rider
earns Junior points for that ride.  If that is not the intent, it
should be re-worded IMO.

There is nothing in the rules currently that even suggests that a
Junior cannot revert back to riding as a sponsored Junior,
accumulating Junior points, at any time during the ride season.