From:  Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  Paul Sidio <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC:  ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: [RC] RE Physics of Weight
Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:18:31 -0400
Bottom line Mother Nature does not supply a free lunch. Work performed on an object (like you feed bag of a rider on the back of a horse) is the product of the distance the object is moved through a force and the force it is moved through. For a complicated path like going down the trail, you break the path up in a bunch of little pieces and sum up the energy over each piece. That means that no matter what the source of mass, dead mass or moving mass, the amount of work is the same. A posting rider - even the worlds greatest rider - does not change the force the horse has to move the object through since when the horse "pushing" the rider up they accelerate it - increasing the force the object is moved through. This is not offset by the rider easing back down on the back since nothing is 100% efficient. Mother Nature is not a nice lady - she gets hers. Hence work is directly proportional to mass, dead or alive. Double the mass - you double the work required to move it.

Energy required is directly proportional to mass - double the mass and you double the energy required to move it. Double the speed you quadruple the energy required to move it.

That's pretty much high school physics - at least when I was in high school.

Truman