Re: [RC] Challenge of Champions - Truman Prevatt

But no one would show up so why should the AERC spend the money. In defense of the NC, it is there and it is worth something. It IS how the AERC crowns it's champion and if you think your horse is the best - bring it on. A horse with no 100 mile experience shouldn't stand a chance so that issue is self correcting. If such a horse does well, it's probably a great horse in the making.

As far as not participating, I suspect when you look at the previous champion series and count the number that did enough rides to even be a contender it is a hand full. The current rides system seems to be well supported. Lots of people make it their goal. We had people from FL go to NM for the first NC. There were people from GA all fired up to get ready for the NC at Ft Howes last year. It does generate excitement a lot more excitement than I ever saw in either of the older methods. I would suspect if the numbers were calculated this system gets a lot more support than the old NCS system and a lot more support than the "great trailer race."

Many AERC members can't even agree what endurance is: racing, miles, many years, etc. You name it - someone has it on top of their list. If the AERC is to name a champion - I see absolutely nothing wrong with the current system and it seems to be better than what came before. I think the question gets right down to "should the AERC name a champion."

If someone wants to run a "ROC type" ride - that's fine. But given the rise of FEI and the decline in 100's (both rider participation and number of rides) - I'm not sure it would be successful these days. It may be a concept whose time has come and gone.

Truman

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:
Perhaps it is time that AERC gives up the idea of a championship race and put on a ride that is just a celebration of endurance or a festival of endurance. All AERC members can enter, everyone is special and all are invited even LDers. It would give membership an opportunity to meet in one location, ride together, celebrate the sport together, and showcase different trails every year. They can give lots of goodies, awards, etc. to make everyone feel special. AERC can put the money for the championship ride in this feel good kind of experience that all members can enjoy. Why keep trying to make a "championship" ride when most members don't participate, there are minimal qulifications to enter the championship, and many AERC members do not know or care who the champion is. Many can't even agree if the AERC champion should be based on a one day ride or the overall competitive record for one ride season.
Kim Fuess

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics