Re: [RC] The Horse's Prerogative - Maryanne Gabbani

One of the horses that wound up with me as a gift was an Appaloosa/ Dutch Warmblood cross. Jack was not impressed with the opportunities to schmooze, eat and enjoy trail riding, even though most of my horses are more than happy in their jobs. Not Jack. One day he took off across a neighbour's paddock, jumped a nylon line that was dividing the paddock (we can talk about paddock management later) at a little over a metre, then jumped the paddock fence at a lot over a metre. One of the observers was a friend of mine who does show jumping and he was definitely impressed. He asked if he could take the horse over to train for jumping and I agreed. Jack is still mine, but Tatoush and he are jumping partners, Jack lives on my farm and everyone is happy.

Could I have turned Jack into a trail horse? Probably with time. Would he have been as happy doing that as jumping? I really doubt it.

Today Tatoush came in and told me that they'd tried a 130 cm jump just for the hell of it and Jack decided to show Tatoush that they hadn't hit his limits yet. Jack sailed over the jump with about 20 cm to spare and almost knocked Tatoush out of his saddle. This guy is in his late 50's, in superb physical shape and has been riding show jumpers all his life. He didn't know whether to laugh or curse. Now if Tatoush could just train him to load into a trailer...... So far that is completely impossible to achieve and severely limits Jack's possibilities in the competitions.

Maryanne
Giza