RE: [RC] Fw: [RideManagers_of_AERC] Race of Champions? - Teri

If you want a true champion you could also have a format of

The top 5 horse and rider teams of each region that can be awarded this title.  Others can compete but only those in the top 5 can be awarded.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:09 PM
To: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; RideManagers_of_AERC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; rides2far@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Fw: [RideManagers_of_AERC] Race of Champions?

In a message dated 7/29/2006 1:19:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I love a winner as much as the next guy--but a one-race winner to may of us is not a champion.  To be a real champion in this sport, a horse and rider need to persevere ("endure" if you will--what a concept!) for MANY miles, and still come home able to go again.  THAT is what the AERC used to be about--and that is one reason that it has lost its luster for many of us.

A friend and I have talked a lot about this, and this is the format we'd actually like best.  Not that either of us would ever be in the running for any sort of championship, but a format that rewards consistent strong performance over a ride season in terms of points would best determine a National Champion.  Second choice would be something like the ROC, with ONE champion.  Not even on the map is the current NC, with ten national "champions" that no one (except those ten and their families) can remember 3 days later.

Dawn in East Texas