RE: [RC] Physics of Weight - Paul Sidio

If only somebody had done research on the effects of weight on a horses preformance.... Somebody has.  Every Racing Secretary at every horse  racetrack in the world that has handicap races does this on a regualr basis.

I believe it has been fairly well accepted that about 2 pounds will make a one legnth difference in a one mile horse race. (between two otherwise equal horse). This is subject to variation due to age of the horse, track conditions, heat etc.  Most experts seem to feel weight has an increasing effect the farther the horse runs. For instance it is more important in a 1 /14 mile race than in a 440 yard race.

So it should be fairly simple to do the physics here for endurance.  Let's see. 2 pounds make a one length differance at one mile . Oh crud.  Was it 2 pounds or one kilogram?  Hmm ok.. how long was the horse? Do they measure a length standing still or the legs extending runnig horse?  So maybe ...what 8 feet difference at one miles   times 50 miles.... plus factoring in the added stress of uphills, of course allowing for 5 degree climbs and 7 degree climbs...  and then factoring in downhill... does the extra weight make them go faster downhill?  Dang this is getting harder... Then all we have to do is factor in the surface factors. For the part of the ride riden in soft sand it is a weight factor of "x" and for that of rocky ground it is " Y"

So (!/3 X over 4/6 Y ) x2(riders weight overage) x D ...minus wind .... ah the heck with it.... I'm just gonna go ride.. This is giving me a headache.

The fun part of this sport is that I don't have to worry about this kind of junk. I just get out there and ride through the woods until i think he is fit enough, and then go play with other fools who think the same thing so we can ride 25-50 miles. We sometimes even get t-shirts when its' over. Hard to beat that.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO