Re: [RC] [RideManagers_of_AERC] Race of Champions? - Joe Long

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:06:38 EDT, magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:

At every other ride the AERC puts on, there is a first
place... even if it's a tie.   Why the NC of all rides would
not recognize a first place overall champion is a mystery
to me.   At all other venues, I am leery of racing.
However, of all rides the AERC sanctions, the AERC NC
*should* be a race... and it's not.

I think I can shed some light on this, as I was on the Board when a
lot of this was set up.

The pressure for weight divisions came from some of our heaviest
riders, who feel that they can't compete against the lightweight
riders.  Originally there were two weight divisions, in addition to
the Overall standings.  The heavy riders felt that they still couldn't
compete with the riders near the light end of Heavyweight, so we
expanded to three divisions:  Light, Middle and Heavy.

Now, there were still two complaints.  One, although participation in
the Heavyweight Division was the smallest of the three Divisions, some
heavy riders still believed that they couldn't compete with the riders
at the lighter and of the Heavyweight Division.  So they brought
pressure to expand to FOUR weight divisions, which we have today.

The other complaint was that the Weight Divisions didn't get as much
recognition as the Overall placings.  Some people wanted to do away
with Overall placings and have "four separate rides."  Some even
suggested staggering the starting times for the Weight Divisions, so
overall competition would be impossible!  That idea never prevailed,
but when the NC was last modified Overall placings were eliminated,
making the NCs "five separate rides" (four Weight Divisions and
Junior).

Personally, I find the effort to promote the Weight Division
"Champions" by eliminating any recongntion that ONE horse/rider team
actually crossed that finish line first, to be a bit selfish.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx