RE: [RC] [RC] Tara Needs A Tevis Horse, I'll put my stamp of approval on her! - sherman

Thanks for your recommendation, Char.  And I wish your horse were closer, Jody.

Yes, time is getting short. And $$ too. Emergency vet calls, stitches, medication….you all know that means big bucks. Let alone the emotional toll of a traumatic injury. This injury was caused by a combination of small events, and a tiny flaw in the design of the trailer. Any of you that have Thurobuilt trailers, take a look at the trailer entrance. Where the sheet metal trim piece comes down to meet the door, it flares out just a tad. It doesn’t seem like a safety hazard, but when Shadow flung her head against it, it ripped out a chunk of bone from her skull, luckily (yep, it could have been much worse), right at a place on the skull where vets sometimes have to drill a hole to drain very bad sinus infections. I’ve taken my trailer & had that trim cut off, and I suggest that anyone who has a Thurobuilt trailer should do the same. I did call the manufacturer, but they didn’t call me back.

Tara’s little mare was a gift from an older (86yrs) gentleman Tom Mathews, who just passed away about 12 days ago. Tom was not an endurance rider, but loved riding. He came out on his 85th b’day for his last ride on Shadow. He didn’t want us to tell anyone for quite a while that he’d given the horse to Tara, he was so proud to be able to ride at his age and his peers were in awe that he still could. Many, many year ago, he and a few other  old timers” used to have weekend breakfasts at Paige Harper’s kitchen, along with a young Potato Richardson. I thought it would be such an honor for the beautiful & tough little mare that he gave to Tara to complete Tevis on the day of his memorial and what also would have been his 65th wedding anniversary.

Kathy