RE: [RC] Understanding the horse partnership - Tracey Lomax

Barbara wrote:

>>Maybe a better example would be a zebra.  They are an equid, and I understand they are extremely difficult to train, if at all.  I believe Virl Norton once trained a pair, but from all I hear, they do not want to be trained and can be dangerous.  And they probably have the same herd hierarchy system as the horse.

Common misconception : their herd hierarchy is quite different to the horse’s J

Zebras live in small “bands” within a larger herd.  Each band is led by a stallion with his harem of mares.  So there can be a number of stallions within the herd, each leading his “harem” of mares.  There are also young colts with no mares.

The herds are extremely large and so it’s not uncommon for mares to be poached from within neighbouring bands.  The stallions are quite aggressive as a result and far more controlling than in bands of horses, where the alpha mare is more in control.

This is very simplistic, I know, but indicates the differences between them.  For more info, get hold of a National Geographic video called “Patterns in the Grass”.  It’s very interesting.

I can watch zebra herds all day.  Other folk go to the game park to look for the Big Five, I find the herd dynamic in the smaller species far more interesting.

Tracey

(South Africa)