RE: [RC] The Horse's Prerogative - Tracey Lomax

Okay, Kat, I’m a believer.

I decided, today (because I have a broken ankle, haven’t ridden in a month and it’s supper time, and therefore an eminently sensible time to start anything new with a horse) to try Diceman in a hackamore.  He has no mouth, you see, so I thought perhaps tugging on his nose might entice him to stop sticking it into the air whenever we halted.  It didn’t, but that’s another story for another time.

Anyway, where was I?  Oh, yes, the importance of helmets and bits…..

There we were, sauntering up the driveway to go home for supper, when my neighbour’s grooms (bless them), decided to gallop his string of TWENTY polo ponies past us.

Needless to say, that was just the excuse Diceman needed to stick his nose between his knees (this is the horse who couldn’t possibly go long and low, no, never, never, never), leap five feet in the air, gallop up the driveway, do a handbrake turn at the top, on the concrete, past the healing room, do an almighty leap over the duckpond (I swear the ducks will never be the same again, and the pond has never gone that shade of green quite so quickly), gallop a further two strides and then SCREECH, STOP!!  Because we were now home.

Of course.

Bloody horse is definitely going eventing, but perhaps NOT with me.

Tracey
(downing her first cider and moving swiftly on to the second and awaiting the pleasant numbness I’m told will follow and hopefully stop the violent throbbing in my violated ankle)