Re: [RC] Husbands & Helmets - Barbara McCrary

I had to badger my husband, too.  He used to wear a western hat, then a baseball cap.  One day, riding along a flat trail, at a flat-footed walk, his horse tripped over a tree root and nearly went down.  He went off, hit the back of his head on the tree root, and doesn't remember about 2-3 hours of his life to this day.  Even then, I had to fight him about wearing a helmet.  I hated doing this, but I persisted and won.  Now he wears his helmet every time he rides.  I think the professional image it lent him when we were on patrol for the state parks helped win him over, but anyway, I'm so grateful he finally gave in.  I tried every type of blackmail and it all made him mad.  It's over, he wears his helmet, and apparently no hard feelings.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:23 PM
Subject: [RC] Husbands & Helmets

I used to fight this fight, and then a very good friend (ex b/f actually), and very good rider, w/over 5000 AERC miles got on a green mare, had dogs spook her, and took a nasty fall, crushing his C7, which is now titanium, and well...he's living life in a wheelchair. I fought and fought him to wear a helmet when we were together, which he would do intermittantly. The day he fell off of this horse, it was her first time on the trails, they were riding a side trail, and the dogs came up behind them, brushing her hind leg. She went balistic, and he went off over her shoulder, lit on his head and rolled down the hill some. From fall to life flight to Boise over 2 hrs elapsed. Tim would have been brain dead if he had not decided to wear his OLD helmet that day. It was one of those old ones that you still see around that rather resembles a small motorcycle helmet. It saved his life at the most, and his brain at the very least.
Well...he put it to me this way, when I asked him how he was dealing with things, "I'd rather live my life in a wheelchair than be spoonfed the rest of my life". I told Terry this, "I'd rather push you around in a wheelchair than spoon feed you the rest of your life, I love animals and go to the ends of the earth for them, but stupid human tricks do not impress me, and I'm not a very good nurturer to sick broken people!" He has worn his helmet ever since and has taken some nasty falls in the past couple of years...the kinds of falls where you say, DAMN, I'm glad I had my helmet on!

My .02, WEAR YOUR HELMET!

Darlene

--
Need work done on that "undependable pony"? Looking for a new "Dependable Pony"? Check us out at www.dependableponies.com