Kathy

From: "Jeannie Gillen" <jeanniegillen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Have had similar experiences with one mare....it seems that after they have
ever
tied up....they are more prone, under any circumstance....usually
undetectable.
Knowing this mare, we avoid things that might cause her stress but like your
horse, she is a trooper, and can handle most anything so we don't have to
avoid
much. Even under this consideration, she will occasionally do exactly what
your
horse did..... get tight in the hindquarters...once I thought she was going
fall down coming home on trail at a walk...we were then within 200 feet of
the
barn, but it was scary.  We can usually massage it out, but if she goes down,
we
give her banamine and rest....like your horse, she is fine the next day, and
we
may never know what caused it.

Massage and stretching seems to help...if this horse walks toooooo much and
doesn't get to extend, she is likely to have an "event"....If she eats
alfalfa
more than
"on occasion"...she is likely to have an event.  If she doesn't drink enough
water, she is likely to have an event....and she will only drink fresh water
out
of a  known trough, or her own bucket!  OTOH, this am she kicked a hole in
her
manger wall (1/2" plywood) and got a big wood splinter stuck in the bulb of
her
hind foot...pulled it out, she bled a lot and was ouchy, but this pain would
not
likely cause an event.....go figure!

She is still the best trail horse in the barn and we love her very much, but
the
tying up thing is why we stopped doing endurance.  She had a major episode at
ride....never really figured it out, and we just don't want to risk damaging
her.