Re: [RC] Riding helmets - Sisu West Ranch

One thing that has been implied, but not stated, is that the testing of a horse helmet includes resistance to the impact by a horses hoof shaped object.  Somebody decided that horse riders were quite likely to be hit by a hoof, or a round rock so the standard should address that.  The most likely impact media for a bike rider is a hard but flat road.

Now to address the original concern, which was a person who would wear a bake helmet but not a horse one.  I'm not sure but I think the 80 20 rule applies here.  He has already decided to be about 80% as safe as wearing a horse helmet, there are bunches of folk in my area who feel that real "cowboys" do not wear helmets.  These include some who get bucked off of mules every couple of years and have suffered broken bones, but apparently feel that their head is not all that important.

Ed

PS: I have worn a helmet for 25 years and know that the free replacements I have gotten are much better than a stay at  a hospital or morgue.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640