[RC] Riding helmets - don't use bike helmets - Karen Everhart

Vickie and Kathy,

Please, please take the time to do your research.  Bike helmets will not protect you from the injuries typically sustained in a horse related head injury.  I know, I have had both.  But, don't take my word.  There is a great article in this months (August) issue of Equss.  Read it for your husband's well-being and for yours as well.  If you have never had to assume responsibility for a closed brain injury patient, trust me when I say that the cost of a helmet for you, your spouse, your kids, your friends, your worst enemy is nothing compared to the emotional expense of a head trauma, even one that resolves completely!!!

AND, while I am at it.  REPLACE any helmet that takes an impact.  They are ONE TIME USE ONLY safety items.  One you receive a blow to the head, get a new one.  Many reputable companies will provide a low cost replacement if it is needed.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082

My husband won?t get a horseback riding helmet either, always uses his bike helmet. While I don?t like the looks of it, considering the major crashes he?s survived while biking (has had 3 helmet replacements in the past year & a half), I do believe it will provide adequate protection while horseback riding as well. I wouldn?t worry about it.

Kathy

  His thought is "What is the difference between getting bucked off a horse or falling off a bike?"  So help me out here.  I don't feel that it is completely safe, but am I wrong?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Vickie