Re: [RC] Truman, BH, colics - rides2far

So pleasure horses are not cared for well?

sigh<

NO. When I said pleasure I probably meant more "pet"...non working.... I
guess we all have a mental image of who we're talking about. It's a shame
others can't see it.  I am mentally picturing a beautiful *true black* QH
that lives down the road...along with about 3 other horses. They live a
life that PITA would think was ideal for a horse. They're in a 100 acre
field with a stream. Nobody ever rides them.  The owners are nice people
and they do have someone mess with the horse's feet now and then.  So,
these horses stand under a tree with hundreds of flies (that is natural
you know) all over their faces and bellies. They are extremely fat...sort
of lumpy, and the farrier that does them puts on shoes that are too small
and the owners leave them on till they fall off which means they get run
way out the front. When they get an abcess they hop on 3 legs until I
offer to check and see if I can find it.  Some people would think these
horses have it better than mine because mine have to *work*. These horses
have no demands on them. (though they did lose a pasturemate to colic
last year...took a few days before anybody missed it and found it dead)

I'll bet that your pleasure horses do some work or this web site wouldn't
interest you. Even if it means you're exploring trails at a walk for 5
hrs. on Saturday. Some people would insinuate that's cruel. Given the
choice your horse would have stood under a tree all day. I'm betting that
being a person who *uses* and has a great deal of interest in your horse,
that you take better care of it than a neighbor who lets theirs stand
under a tree 24/7. I doubt you'd need a good farrier otherwise.

My apologies if I offended you. I think you jumped in front of someone
else's bullet.

Angie (who's having plenty of trouble finding a good farrier in the area)