RE: [RC] [RC] The Horse's Perogative (was: Truman, BH, Colic) - Alison Farrin

You just haven't seen it....... Had an NSH, that when you turned him out in the jumping arena for exercise would blast around jumping everything in sight.  He loved to jump and proved it by jumping out of most every enclosure I put him in, starting at less than 6 months old.  He would jump out of enclosures with companion horses in them, just for the joy of going over the fence.

Thank god he never got a chance to teach my current escape artist that jumping is an acceptable way of exiting the area.

Alison A. Farrin

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ll cole
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:30 PM
To: katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] The Horse's Perogative (was: Truman, BH, Colic)

Well Kat, while I generally agree with your logic, you're out on the wrong limb here. Jumping is a man made event. I have yet to see a horse, of its own free will, choose to jump over a man made jump. We are responsible for the consequences from the activities, events or lack thereof that we present our horses with.

Left to their own devices and choosing, horses are pretty much generally satisfied standing in their pasture with plenty to eat and drink. I've had some escape their paddock here at home, but they never went to the arena and started doing cavaletti, running the barrel pattern or going over the jumps. They always choose to graze in the yard.

Barry Cole,  Kansas