[RC] jumping/accidents and horses - Jackie Causgrove

Okay, I'm "jumping" into this because I have and still do ride open jumpers.  I've been riding jump horses since I was 13 years old and have competed on a national(including shows as Devon, Detroit Motor City, HITS) and international level in stadium jumping.

First, any horse can jump a 2' 6" fence.  Horses jump obstacles at that height in the fields, paddocks etc all the time.  Without  difficulties.  2' 6" obstacles, to a horse, is not an intimating height.

Secondly, in all the years (I repeat years, as I am getting as old as the dinosaurs), I've never heard of such an accident.
 A lot of other accidents can and do happen.   With jumping and without jumping.

Thirdly, if a horse does not want to jump, you can not make the horse jump.  Some horses do not like to jump.  Some horses have no talent for jumping (jump split legged, hang their knees etc).
Some horses think jumping is the cat's meow.  And willingly go over fences that are 6 feet high and 6 feet wide.  I know because I have been in flight with them.

And to answer the question in a previous post (sorry if this redundant) about it being eventing and not jumping...  2/3 of eventing is jumping; either cross country or in the stadium.  The 1/3 is dressage.

But who has not had an accident with their horse?  Obviously not to such an extent as a death of the horse but who hasn't made some error in riding that had a negative impact on the horse?
Who has never made an error in judgment when it came to their horse, ever?  Never the less, being a junior rider.

Finally, at what point does a horse's mis step equate that the rider ego caused such an accident?
Are there not tragic mis steps in endurance as well? I can think of one recently.
 Does one then blame an adult for that mis step as well and blame it on rider's ego too?

I surely hope that the junior rider is not aware of such unfair criticism.  I would imagine that the rider is devastated enough without having to deal with that layered on top.

I realize that perceptions are what they are.  I am sure that those of you in endurance are aware of the negative perceptions of that sport.  I certainly have heard them when I speak about endurance to other riders (who are not involved in endurance).  And if I have heard them, then so have you all.

Well, I've spoken my piece.  And am stepping off of the soap box and if need be, I'll zip up that ole flame retardant suit hanging in the closet.  Otherwise, I'm back to lurking and reading what all of you have to say.

Jackie

Julie Gelderman <Julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys...the horse died, it was a 2'6" jump.  You were correct Diane.

Julie