[RC] Tevis Cup- Spectating Info. - Pat Hayward

Spectating at the Tevis Cup for the First Time:

    Before you head to Robie Park, it's wise to check-out the Auburn
fairgrounds; McCann Stadium and the actual finish line so you know how
to get to those areas later on during Sat. night when you're hot and
tired.  When you get to Robie Park, keep in mind that there are three
start lines for the Tevis Cup:  last year, a friend and I managed to
camp close to the first start line.  This was the start for the #3 group
(nicked named the 'slowpokes').  Because we wanted to see the start of
the #1 group ('hot-doggers'); plus avoid the dangers of getting kicked
or knocked over by milling horses; causing horses to spook and/or
getting yelled at by anxious riders, we wisely opted to get up extra
early Saturday morning and walked briskly down the gravel forestry road
to the #1 start line.  We took a flashlight to see where we were going
and there were a few glow-sticks to guide us as well (the temp is cool
so take a jacket).  Once we reached the #1 start line, we kept on
walking for another 40 ft. and then scrambled up the dirt bank on the
left hand side.  There, well above the gravel road, we sat on some
boulders waiting in anticipation for the start.  We were admiring the
full moon that was shining through the trees, when we suddenly thought
we could hear running water.  Then that sound turned into a clopping
roar as 230+ horses flowed down the gravel road and then into the
woods.  We sat quietly and didn't move a muscle until the very last
horse went by (absolutely no spooking the horses!).  Seeing the start of
the Tevis Cup Ride is something special and worth doing IF you're not
expected to crew at Robinson Flats.  I say the latter because by the
time you walk back to the ride camp; travel all the way to Sailor Flats;
and then get through the traffic/parking jam outside of Robinson Flats,
you will more than likely be pressed for time to do any proper crewing.
But if you're just spectating, then it's fine.  You probably won't see
the front runners, but you'll see enough at this busy Vet Check to fill
your eyes.  To catch the front-runners, head to Michigan Bluff.  That's
my favorite spot for spectating because you don't get the horrendous
crowds like you do at Robinsons.  It's a pretty little spot with some
quaint buildings and only one paved road running through it.  Find a
shady spot, sip on a cool drink and relax while chatting to others.
When the riders start to come in you can get into the spirit of the
Tevis  by offering to sponge their horses.  Many of the riders don't
have their crews there (most are waiting at Foresthill for their riders)
so they're usually appreciative of any assistance.  But make sure you
ask "Sponge your horse??" before you do.  I got to sponge Potato's
horse, and my friend (Karen Ellis) helped Chris Schork by giving him
some equine electrolytes that she happened to have.  We like to think
that helped his horse get his 3rd place finish (hee, hee).  After
sponging and taking photos at Michigan Bluff, we then headed to
Foresthill.  It's pretty busy at this Vet Check.  We walked down Bath
Road to see the crews at work and watch the horses come in.  We also
spent time in the vetting area; spotting certain well-known riders and
their horses; and checking the results board.  Keep an eye on the
setting sun as you'll want to head to the finish line before it gets too
dark to get a good place to park and watch.  At the finish line, we sat
on a blanket waiting for the riders to come in.  We chit-chatted with
all sorts of people, and Karen's husband (Gord) called us on her cell
phone to give us info. about what was happening with the front runners.
He was at home (Courtenay, B.C., Canada) watching the results on the
Tevis website (technology, eh?).  After watching the top 3 horses come
in, we then walked over to the McCann Stadium and watched the going-ons
there.  I think we stayed up until 1:00 a.m.  All day Karen and I
carried backpacks full of everything that we would need to make our
spectating comfortable; plenty of water; food; sunscreen; hats;
long-sleeved cotton shirts; some money; and a blanket.  The next day we
were up early to watch the B.C. judging; spent money at the booths; and
then of course we went to the banquet/awards.  I had extra fun by
walking around and getting various people to autograph my Tevis book.
    So I hope that my info. will help any of you who are thinking of
spectating at the Tevis Cup.  But keep in mind, if you think crewing the
Tevis is hard, try spectating (just kiddin).  We had an awesome time!
Cheers,
Pat Hayward
Tevis Groupie