Re: [RC] The Bare Facts - SturmRanch

When I tried out my current horse, he was owned by an experienced horsewoman and sometime endurance rider who had opted to go both barefoot and vaccine free.

I asked her to canter him on a nice section of trail with excellent footing and she said, "Oh, I wouldn't want to canter him very much, he's barefoot you know, and I don't want to sore him."

Of course my first thought was that she was hiding something, but he vetted fine, and I bought him.  Being a less open-minded horse owner, I had him vaccinated and shod.

He's an absolutely tough little mountain goat of a horse and is scrambling up and down our steep rocky trails  like an equine ATV.

I have no ax to grind re barefoot horses if they can go where I need to ride and I know there are those who have demonstrated  that some can, but if  being barefoot prevents me riding on the only trails I have available, then it is not for me.

Nancy Sturm