Re: [RC] The Bare Facts - Truman Prevatt

Yes it was and a good example of how it is all tied together, horse comfort, gait, behavior, etc. The thing I don't get is I don't think anyone would disagree that if a horse can go barefoot, that is the preferable way. We have a young one we are just starting to ride. She is learning a lot, proper balance on the straight away, now we are adding some tight curves to get her to balanced under those conditions. She gets ridden about twice to three times a week and so far she doesn't show any signs of foot soreness, breaking up of the hoof or excess wear. We do give her a week off to process what she has learned about every 4 or 5.

The work has stimulated hoof growth and her hoofs are nicely shaped for the work. However, when we start working her more she will need shoes and she will get shoes - starting with light weight aluminum and then working up to steel as she needs. While she grows tough dense hoof, but she does not grow it exceptionally fast and at some point wear will become an issue. Her mother grew good dense hoof but didn't grow it fast. Given the choice, however, between good dense hoof and fast growing "soft hoof" I'll take dense hoof any day.

I can't see where how one manages one's horses feet needs to be a religion or what business it is of anyone else if I want to shoe. After all we should all be concerned with the comfort, health and safety of our horses as we ask them to do things they never do in nature - carry a rider for a long distance over trails we dictate - which are not trails they would necessarily traverse given their own choice.

Truman

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Kat, excellent post.
Your stated: "It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who ride barefoot horses who don't know how to tell when their horse has sore feet. The problem is, horses that are foot sore don't limp (assuming all the feet are sore), so their owners think that just because their horses' feet don't have chipped hoof walls that there can't be anything wrong with the feet." This is precisely the frustration that I feel watching so many of these horses, and is why I bothered to speak up on this topic in the first place. I read posts from people talking about how their horses' gaits have "improved" and yeah, they've certainly changed, but from my observations, usually not for the better.

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics