[RC] [RC] suspensory ligaments - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Chrystal Woodhouse wrote:

...re: suspensory ligaments- a horse she bought a few months ago seems to have done something to his suspensory ligament- the ultrasound hasn't been done yet- however nerve blocking his leg indicated the suspensory ligament. The question is: has anyone successfully rehabilitated and competed on a horse with suspensory problems?????

Chrystal, I asked the same question in 2002 when my mare pulled
a suspensory. The answers were very varied - many people said with
plenty of time off and careful rehab (like months) their horses
came back to full work. Others were not so positive. The main thing
seems to be it depends on the horse, why the ligament got injured
in the first place, and how the horse is at allowing itself to heal
during the rehab period.

In the case of my mare, after six months rehab (living in a small
pen with daily hand-walking and gradual addition of load) she was
sound, and then repulled the same suspensory in a different place
a year or so later - probably from trying to relieve pedal osteitis
in the foot of that leg. After yet more rehab, she was sound again
as of last fall, but I didn't have a chance to work with her until
recently. I'm still seeing something in that leg, but it could be
residual pedal osteitis that isn't being protected enough by EZ
boots alone (she's barefoot) and she may come sound if I put her
back in Sneakers.

But in her case, she's not cut out for endurance and although I
might be able to do some LD on her, the way she moves predisposes
her to reinjuring herself. She glides like water at the trot and
is *the* most comfortable horse, hands-down, to ride. However,
that comes at a price - the shock is taken up in her tendons and
ligaments.

Best advice to your friend - get an u/sound, then take it as slowly
as she can with the horse and do the rehab. It's a PITB, but worth
the satisfaction of the time if the horse comes through it.

Good luck to her!

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California