Re: [RC] Question on Mounted Posse/Endurance - abigail Madden

Diana,

Don't let anyone sway you with comments that certain breed/size/sex CAN'T do posse work.  With the exceptions being the extremes (i.e. miniature horses, etc.) I believe that as long as they have the right mind, any horse can do the work.  I have some advice for you in your training.

I'm on my depts. mounted enforcement unit.  Its a little different than many posses that I know of.  Many of those don't do a lot of the same types of work that we do, but I feel that they should all have the same type of training for safety's sake.

I do not use my distance horse for mounted patrol work, he just doesn't have the mind for it.  I don't use my mounted patrol horse for distance riding, he just doesn't have the mind for it.  However, I do train them both in the other's discipline and it makes them both better horses.  The endurance horse has learned that many of the things he thought were scary, really won't kill him.  The mounted horse has learned that he had better drink, eat, and rest when ever given the opportunity.

Two days ago we worked in Modesto, CA with 25 other police horses for the X-fest.  Basically, a big street party with 13,000 people and several bands playing concurrently in different intersections down town.  Triple digit temps, no breeze, and several beer trucks.  Lots of hot, drunk, boisterous people.  Other officers were amazed that how strong Magic is when it comes to sensory obstacles.  In fact, we had to deal with some folks that were getting a little out of control and then stopped to rest right next to the speakers for the Tone Loc (look him up if you're too young/old to know who he is) concert.  Magic cocked a leg and started to doze even though the bass was so heavy you could feel it in your bones.  When we went for a water break, he stuck his nose in the trough and guzzled his fill while the other horses were nosing around not sure if they wanted to drink from a strange bucket.  And when we took a break back at the trailer and I put some hay in front of him during a break, he ate the entire time.

Tiger has learned that Fourth of July is not to be feared.  It merely lights the sky so he can see the more tasty clumps of pasture grass.

In terms of training I would recommend that any posse member be able to control all four corners of their horse.  Turn on the fore and haunches, side pass, and stop on the first "whoa".  We have found that a great thing for getting the horses used to the more hairy crowd control situations is to use the big ball (we play battle ball) and to bounce them around in a group.  We play football from horseback.  With both of these, the horses learn that they can get bumped, banged, and bounced, and it doesn't freak them out when it happens in the real world.  However, before playing the games, the rider MUST have control of all four corners.

Anyway, good luck and most of all HAVE FUN.  Its great fun to go through all of the training and see what you're accomplished with your horse that many people never dream of doing.

abigail
Chico, CA

Diana Hiiesalu <entais@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a question that I thought someone might be able to have some input on.
I have an 8 yr old arab who is in training now to be broke. I bred him and he has a wonderful mind, calm and thoughtful. I've been busy with my life, but things changed drastically so now he's getting trained. I originally wanted to ride him in endurance, but for the time being, have signed up as a volunteer for the sheriff's posse in my area. Ali'i will have to pass a 40 hour sensory training course, which will be starting in Jan. but soon, I will start taking him to general training events with the posse.

My question is: or I'm thinking more of a comment from another volunteer, who has been involved with the posse over 20 years. She said she doesn't know any endurance horse that has made a good posse horse, that they are too ready to go all the time. I'd like to think it really is just a matter of training, that your horse is either trained or he isn't. Since I'm starting with the posse training first, I figure he will have that down well before I get to conditioning for endurance. I have another arab who I think would also be a great posse horse, and I rode him in a 50 and did quite well with him. He's lazy for the most part, but during the race, lazy is not a word I would have described him. Anyway, I'd love to hear comments and/or experiences related to this.

Thanks in advance.
(I am on digest form)
Diana Hiiesalu Bain