[RC] Ramy & Faustina & BH trail length - Double 8 Ranch

Faustina Duffy writes:
"No, I did NOT see any early signs-guess I'm not that tuned in or telepathic.  I had a horse that was eating EVERYTHING in sight at each hold and every time I stopped along the trail (his normal behavior), Drinking at every opportunity (his normal behavior) and behaving like his normal self on the trail (mellow but willing).  Pooping at each pile we passed (he's a stallion), and peeing whenever I did (and I drink coffee even during rides).  I KNEW I had a tired horse, but he did NOT feel excessively tired.  However, if I had KNOWN that I passed within 1 mile of the vet check before I went out towards Shag Nasty (unreadable map) I would have pulled.  However, the first ODD thing that happened on that trail was that my horse asked to speed up...just as the temperature started cooling down.  I assumed he was smelling the horses ahead.  There were NO signs of colic 17 miles before it happened, the last time that Ramy had seen him.  My vet card says ALL OK for every hold before that.  Eating, Drinking, Peeing and Pooping were all normal."

I believe that this is the Big Horn rider who spent the night on the mountain and whose horse coliced. This is the horse/rider that Ramy is talking about.  Please correct me if I am wrong. I got a tad confused with Faustina posting and then Paula Brown talking about someone named Lucky. I 'think" Lucky and Faustina are one in the same person.

So, I suppose had things not turned out OK for this horse (thank goodness they did) that Ramy would have said to her friend Faustina, "There's nothing I or anyone else can do to save your horse, I'm just gonna have to kill it."  What comforting words. If any vet that I have taken my animals to for euthanasia had used that terminology with me you can bet your sweet a--- that I wouldn't be using that vet anymore. And, considering how abruptly this colic seemed to occur for this horse, why is it such a leap of faith to imagine that happening to the other, not so fortunate horses? Ramy would imply that someone actually killed these horses and her insensitivity to these riders is heartless. On this subject she chooses to use inflammatory and accusatory language.  Sure glad she's not my vet or my friend.

Thank you Diane, for 'defending' my offense at this terminology. We will all have to wait and see what the HWC determines and if there is any definitive cause/effect that can be addressed in the future.

On another note, I agree with Cindy in that I do not believe that this trail was long. I have looked at the maps over and over again (Forest Service maps) and just can't see that it's long.

As we all know, not all 100 mile rides are equal. It appears that this alternate route was much more difficult than anyone anticipated. The additional climbing and rocky terrain hampered travel.  Obviously, this will have to be evaluated by ride management in the future. But,  this may be the only option to maintain the integrity of the distance of the trail (if they cannot regain the use of the Adelaide trail through the Wilderness) and if they want to continue sanctioning the 100 mile distance. But, my bottom line is I do not believe that this year's trail was long, just considerably more difficult.

There are opponents of this historic trail and there are supporters. It seems highly unlikely that either group will convince the other. The tragedy of losing two wonderful horses is haunting, but hopefully all of us that love our horses will learn something in the end.

Lauren
Double 8 Ranch
Cody, WY
 "You don't throw a whole life away just 'cause it's banged up a little."