[RC] shoe-y - Renie M burnett

I am not posting to get in the middle of the barefoot debates;  what works for some will not work for others.  I do not believe it would work for me, and my horses live on extremely rocky, hard ground.  The kind that drains in two hours after 24 hours of rain, so you rarely need rubber booties type-of ground.

Several of us "boogie riders" (1000's of miles between us, Tevis completers, 100 milers, top tenners, BCers, even a couple of newbies, etc.) condition at Whiskeytown National Park near Redding, Ca.  We are able to ride all winter, if we don't mind getting rained on because almost ALL of Whiskeytown is rock, and I do mean SERIOUS rock!!  Granite, Quartz,decomposed granite, and big, nasty rocks that stick up through the ground and look like shark's teeth and granite gravel roads (3 inch minus stuff) up and down and UP and DOWN!!   My horse and my riding partner's horse, (she's a DVM) were wearing out a set of shoes in 3 WEEKS or LESS.  I mean, they (eventers) were as thin as butter knives, and the nail heads were plumb wore off, and then, of course, the shoes fall off. Our training rides are 12 to 20 miles, twice weekly.  In addition, I have a weekly dressage/reining lesson in sand.   We collaborated with our farriers to find a solution, as they were getting too rich (HA!) coming out every 3 weeks to put on new shoes.  So, they apply 3 spots of hard surface steel to each shoe and now we can get 5 weeks out of a set.
There have been a few barefoot horses start the Whiskeytown ride, but none have ever completed the 25 or the 50. The ride manager finally refused to let any without shoes or boots even start the ride as it was frustrating to have to go in to rescue them when they became lame. Attempting Whiskeytown barefooted would be as foolhardy as attempting Tevis barefooted. My point is, barefoot would probably not work for a single rider in our situation.   renie