Re: [RC] To Ramy Jisha and BG 100 - Laney Humphrey

Micki, I've just looked up your AERC record. There is a Micki Turney with one attempt at an LD ride in 2004. Is that you? There are also two Chris Turneys; one with 250 miles completed between 1986 and 1996 and the other with 657 miles completed between 1997 and 2001. A good record but if I were you, I'd be careful not to sound like an expert on the "olden days," especially since these Turneys have all ridden in the West Region. Ridecamp is intended as a forum for open discussion but not for name calling, flaming, or accusations. As a long time vet secretary you must be committed to the sport of endurance. I am too and I know Ramy and the rider she crewed for are too. Her committment is what led Ramy to post her concerns to RC. I don't know about Ramy, but I personally am offended by your suggestion that she try NATRC (& NATRC should be offended too!) since you imply that she finds endurance too tough. Her rider is a very experienced horse person and, on her behalf, I am offended at your "fingerpointing" at what you take to be her lack of horse management skills and inability to recognize signs of colic. She did indeed recognize them but she was out on the trail with no help from RM available. I wouldn't be surprised if her didn't survive just because of her horse management skills - she decided to stop and spend the night rather than ask the horse to continue. So... no more "fingerpointing!" OK?
Laney
AERC #12921

chrismichele Turney wrote:
*Ramy,*
*I read your post several times and I think your response is melodramatic and uneducated. Making the statement "two were killed" is a little much. As a veterinarian you should know that using the tool of an autopsy is paramount when making such allegations! /_An endurance ride is a test of self-reliance between you and your horse._/ My question to you is how many endurance miles does your friend (who you crewed for) have? This makes all the difference knowing this as it is up to the rider to have their horse properly conditioned, to recognize the signs of distress way before the horse started to colic. Most experienced riders are so tuned into their horses that they "sense" or "feel" when their horse is not right. And will ask the vets to take a closer look. You are a vet-didn't you recognize the signs of colic? Also unfairly attacking the veterinarian saying that "He didn't see why a horse with colic couldn't go on if the rider wan ted to, the walking might do it some good" That statement is false. You are insinuating that the vet would let the horse go on regardless of his condition. _ /The riders are the ones that have the ultimate responsibility for their horse/._ As the riders participate throughout the day they have the ultimate responsibility to take care of themselves, their horse, and properly communicate to the vets what is going on metabolically. *
*I understand that you are new to the sport and I would suggest before you go any further to volunteer and be a ride secretary, educate yourself in the matters of endurance, read the history of endurance so you understand the big picture. Go on a couple of NATRC rides. Come and help at Tevis. I have learned so much by volunteering and being a ride secretary! Whenever I am not endurance riding I volunteer. I have been a vet secretary since 1991, and the education I have gotten is invaluable, both for lameness, metabolic and nutrition issues. /_Educate educate, educate!_/ You should know that more than anybody as you are a vet!*
*I have to tell you that back in the olden days we had only maps and maybe if you were lucky there would be two ribbons where you were supposed to turn, we had no drag riders,you relied on the local streams for water, etc. This is a tough sport and like I said before it is a test for self reliance between you and the horse, certainly not for the fainted hearted. Go to a couple of NATRC rides and see if you like that better. For success I would suggest that you and your friends adopt the attitude that you are on your own out there and make sure you have the foresight to see when there is a change in your horses. Do your homework!*
*_/Finger pointing is not the key. Look at yourself and say "what could I have done differently?"/_*
*Micki Turney*
Chris and Michele Turney
Horseraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Horseraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>