[RC] BH - Micki - Ramy Jisha

Micki Turney wrote:

"I read your post several times and I think your response is melodramatic and uneducated.  Making the statement "two were killed" is a little much.
  As a veterinarian you should know that using the tool of an autopsy is paramount when making such allegations!  "

Please see my response to Don which was posted yesterday.  Any time you euthanize an animal, the animal has been killed.  Others besides myself have also addressed the "coincidence" of two horses dying in such close proximity to participating in one ride.

  "An endurance ride is a test of self-reliance between you and your horse. My question to you is how many endurance miles does your friend (who you crewed for) have?  This makes all the difference knowing this as it is up to the rider to have their horse properly conditioned, to recognize the signs of distress way before the horse started to colic.  Most experienced riders are so tuned into their horses that they "sense" or "feel" when their horse is not right.  And will ask the vets to take a closer look.  You are a vet-didn't you recognize the signs of colic? "

I do not know how many miles she has, but she has owned this 14 year old horse since he was a yearling.  He did not show any signs of colic until he went down.  In fact, he had just perked up and seemed to have caught a second wind on the downhill after recovering from the brutal climb up Ranger hill when he went down with no warning.

 "Also unfairly attacking the veterinarian saying that "He didn't see why a horse with colic couldn't go on if the rider wan ted to, the walking might do it some good" That statement is false.   You are insinuating that the vet would let the horse go on regardless of his condition. "

I was telling you exactly what the ride vet said to me who examined a horse (not my rider's horse) at the second vet check.  I was upset by the attitude expressed.  I knew the rider was not going to proceed.

   The riders are the ones that have the ultimate responsibility for their horse.  As the riders participate throughout the day they have the ultimate responsibility to take care of themselves, their horse, and properly communicate to the vets what is going on metabolically.

Yes, you are very right.  One thing that concerns me is, as people get tired they may not be as observant as normal and it is also possible to get caught up in the competition or the drive to complete a ride and they may not be functioning normally.  The vets should always function as the advocate of the horse.

"I understand that you are new to the sport and  I would suggest before you go any further to volunteer and be a ride secretary, educate yourself in the matters of endurance, read the history of endurance so you understand the big picture."

The "history" of endurance is one of the problems here.  People seem to think that just because things have always been done this way, that's the way it should always be done.  The deaths of MANY horses are written in the history of endurance.  Does that mean we should just accept more as an inevitable part of the sport's future?  I don't think so.  The "big picture" should not include the old "suck it up" attitude, especially towards our horses.

 "Go on a couple of NATRC rides. Come and help at Tevis. I have learned so much by volunteering and being a ride secretary! Whenever I am not endurance riding I volunteer. I have been a vet secretary since 1991, and the education I have gotten is invaluable, both for lameness, metabolic and nutrition issues. Educate educate, educate! You should know that more than anybody as you are a vet!"

I am involved with AERC, and until I see that the organization as a whole truly does not care about making great rides as safe and as wonderful as they can be, for those who know the trail, those who are new to the trail, and especially for the horses, than I intend to continue in this sport.  I am perfectly capable of obtaining the education needed.  I have plenty of friends who continue to be a source of education.  I'm sorry, but it just doesn't take much education to recognize real problems when you see them.  Apparently, though, it takes some fortitude to stand up and say something about them in the face of such vehement opposition to change of any kind.
This is not a matter of not "understanding" endurance.  I was there.  I know what I saw and heard. And I know it was not right.

"I have to tell you that back in the olden days we had only maps and maybe if you were lucky there would be two ribbons where you were supposed to turn, we had no drag riders,you relied on the local streams for water, etc.  This is a tough sport and like I said before it is a test for self reliance between you and the horse, certainly not for the fainted hearted. Go to a couple of NATRC rides and see if you like that better. For success I would suggest that you and your friends adopt the attitude that you are on your own out there and make sure you have the foresight to see when there is a change in your horses. Do your homework!"

Fine, I can appreciate taking the attitude you are on your own.  I just feel that if that is the case (for many many rides it is not, there are safety measures in place) then people considering attending a ride need to know so, and accurate information regarding trails and support services needs to be given.  All accounts I could find of the BH said, at most, that it was a tough trail.  I have heard from many people who had the same impressions I did after attending.  No one ever has said these things publicly, though, so new riders have continued to walk unprepared into a dangerous situation.  Make it a tough ride, that's not the problem.  Just be honest about it and take care of the horses.

"Finger pointing is not the key.  Look at yourself and say "what could I have done differently?""

Looking back, I wish I had found someone to tell  us what to realistically expect, that's part of what I'm trying to do for other people.  I couldn't personally do anything about the cavalier attitude I encountered.  What I can do is what I am doing, trying to make sure a great ride continues safely for future horses and riders.

Regards
Ramy Jisha