Re: [RC] 2006 Big Horn 100 - Laney Humphrey

Thanks for the input, Heidi. Most of my experience is in the West region. Actually, it would be interesting to know how common it is to have drag riders throughout the country. My real concern, based on what I've read about this ride, is that people were told there would be drag riders & then discovered that there were none. To me, it is one of RM's primary responsibilities to clearly explain how and where help can be expected so that rider's can know when they are truly on their own. And, as a rider, I like to have some idea of how RM tracks where riders are on the course. I understand, and totally agree with, the philosophy that the rider is the one ultimately in charge of their horse's welfare but I also feel that part of RMs responsibility in putting on a ride is a committment to making sure all riders and horses are accounted for in a timely manner which means having the means to search all of the trail at any time.
Laney
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
??? I'm not aware of ANY rides in this region (NW) that have drag riders, although perhaps there are a few. But it is certainly not the norm, nor is it expected by riders. And it would never even occur to me to perceive of a ride as being somehow a lesser ride for not having them. If a rider is unaccounted for, RMs will often dispatch someone to backtrack trail and go look--but often not on horseback.
Heidi

IMHO, whether drag riders are necessary or not depends a lot on how RM wants its ride perceived by MOST people. Many, if not most, rides today, have drag riders so they are expected. If RM chooses not to have them, that should be made very clear from the outset so riders know not to expect help from behind.