Fwd: [RC] Tying Up and metabolic tendencies - Mary Krauss

On Sunday, July 23, 2006, at 12:27 PM, rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

That whole tying up/Monday Morning Disease thing
with
draft horses turns out to be EPSM, right?

Whoa. This is total news to me. Did I miss a big news flash? Explain? Got
a link to an article?

Angie (and I only *thought* I knew everything)

I don't pretend to know anything let alone everything!!!! :-)

Look up Dr. Beth Valentine's work at Oregon State University. She's a pioneer in the field of equine metabolics. She works closely with the regional Draft Horse group in Oregon as well. Their web-journal as well as several other EPSM sites (I remember one good one in particular is from a Veterinary school in Ohio) state an alarming statistic, that of all the draft horses that have EPSM (8% or something along that order), 50% die. Other breeds don't fare so badly. I guess it's becoming more prevalent in quarter horses and more heavily muscled Arabians.

Anyway, turns out that Draft horses, who were the original sufferers of Monday Morning Disease, were probably prone to EPSM so tied up after heavy doses of grain following a lay off. I don't know much more about that aspect of EPSM. All I know is that my horse started moving more and more reluctantly, become balky going downhill, then started pulling front shoes every second. He got great big fist-sized lumps in his rump muscles--they felt contracted but were painless. They very slowly resolved after 6 months of the diet change and consistent exercise--mostly. I can still feel them a little. He didn't actually tie-up; we always stopped before that could happen. But he came really really close and suffered many of the symptoms, including the high numbers of whatever it is they measure in the muscles after an episode. Sorry, can't remember details--'tis bedtime....

Dr. Valentine very carefully avoids equating tying up with EPSM--she seems comfortable equating Monday Morning Disease with EPSM however. So do the other researchers publishing articles on EPSM. And she privately suggests that someday we'll probably discover that many cases of tying up are going to be traceable to the same metabolic disorder. According to her, I might as well feed all of my horses a high fat diet if life's simpler that way--she says it certainly can't hurt them and seems confident the diet should suit a distance horse in particular. One researcher who seems pretty bright published an article all about the good luck he's had sticking with a careful ramping up of exercise for affected horses without the diet change. Dr. Valentine is skeptical about the long-term results of that and stands by the consistent exercise and high fat diet formula.

I gotta get to bed--kids arise early and all.....

Mary K.