[RC] THE BARE FACTS from DJB (long) - Carolyn Burgess

>Now to Heidi's comment below:
>
>"Many of us are well acquainted with Darolyn--and it is the vets in Texas who started reporting the incidences of the bruised deep digital flexors on many of the horses she has had campaigning down there.

I am neither for nor against either barefoot or shoeing.  I do what is appropriate for each horse.  I have 1 barefoot and 3 in shoes.  The barefoot one has hooves and soles as tough as nails.  I had one winter where due to finances, we went barefoot instead of with shoes with borium studs.  My 50 mile horse started his training in the spring barefoot and did his first 2 25 mile CTR's barefoot.  In his case, his wear exceeded his growth and he bruised his deep digital flexor. After that, no barefoot on any of my endurance horse.  My horse only has to suffer once for my learning curve.

>Ah u say... but what about the rocky rides?  They're tough on us, since we can't condition too easily for them... but even then, the mighty Zues top tenned on the Fairhill course (pre NAEC ride in 2004). & it was mighty rocky.

I've done this ride.  I'm from the Northeast where we do have rocks, but I would NEVER have considered the Fairhill course a rocky ride.  It is mostly rolling fields and dirt roads in the woods.  And from where I come from, I would have said that if you ride your horse barefoot, this would be an appropriate ride to do barefoot.  Just one persons perspective.

Carolyn Burgess

Carolyn Burgess
Email:
carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx