RE: [RC] Big Horn - Misconceptions - Teri Hunter

I hope to do the Big Horn one day.  I hope it is around.  I have never been an RM so I do not feel I have the knowledge to say what an RM goes through.  I am a rider and I do get tired of hearing people complain about trail markings.  I have been lost several times, one was due to sabotage, the other times because I was not paying attention.  Part of endurance TO ME following a marked trail, the other part is making sure that my horse is familiar with everything she (I own mares) will be going through, this includes riding in the dark and practicing it at home, not on an endurance ride.  The other part I feel which is the most important is knowing my horse and their limitations for THAT ride.  I talk to people who have ridden the ride prior to me, I read the entry form (they usually will give you a very good idea of what the trail is like).  It is up to me, myself, not anyone else to make sure my horse is prepared and can handle the ride at hand.  I went back to the entry from on AERC’s site and read the BH entry form, There is a statement there that says “. This ride is a true test of endurance…”  That statement alone tells you the type of ride it will be.  Tough, VERY tough.  I commend all RM’s for putting on a ride.  I commend riders for giving corrective suggestions that could better a ride.  Hopefully when I feel my mare and I are ready for this type of ride it will still be around.

Teri

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DVeritas@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:17 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Big Horn - Misconceptions

Alright.

I need (for me) to state a couple of things.

Tom Van Gelder has ALWAYS been exceptionally wonderful to me...back to 1989.  One night, Cindy Collins and I were out there somewhere in the Badlands on a hundred miler and darn if he wasn't there for us....throughout the night.  And, when I finally found myself just about four miles from the finish, who was at the fence waiting for me...Tom Van Gelder.  He is a kind man, well-intended.

I understand Tom Van Gelder.  I understand the Big Horn 100.

It is a 100 which is certainly doable.

BUT, I also understand that the fabric of the AERC saddle pad has changed, particularly over the last ten years or so.  Riders are different.  Expectations are different.

I don't think Endurance Riding should be Survival Riding, no more than I think it should be a Carousel Ride in the Park.  Somewhere in between would be fine with me.

Who of us have ever heard Dave Nicholson's "You Could Die Out There" speech and not understood that he was very serious when he gave it.

Well, I remember my first Tom Van Gelder ride briefing (1989)...very similar in content.  The BH is (for the most part) a primitive point to pointer.

I love the ride.

If things could have been done better...well, ferreting out the this-and-that of it all won't be a bad thing.  Particularly if it improves the perception of the doability of the ride and the safety of the ride.

But, face it, Endurance Riding is not inherently safe for the horse or the rider.

It is a dangerous sport and I don't care if you doing a training ride, a limited distance ride or going over Cougar Rock with sliding plates on your horse's back hooves.

If we can improve the safety of it all, I'm all for it.

What makes me sad, Lisa is that RC can get frothy at the mouth over Barbaro and when we need to discuss rider and horse safety, archaeic and entrenched attitudes seem to polarize the "camp".  Too bad.

Frank