[RC] Carriage Distance Driving Event - Barb Lee

Hi there,
Barb Lee here.  I am a carriage driver in the Portland, Oregon area.

I am working with another person on resurrecting a distance driving event which was held in the central Oregon Cascades, from around 1992 to 1996. The format was called Performance Tests, and was modeled after US Cavalry performance tests from the early 1900s.

The distance will be extremely compressed (read "short" by endurance standards!), as we are holding it (if it happens) at a domestic facility in the Ethel, Washington area. The object is to try to rekindle an interest in distance driving in the Pacific Northwest, and see if it will take off. We will have a lot of work if it does, to try to find suitable venues, interest more people in the sport, and eventually, find an organization that would take the event under its wing.

I did the organizing on the four events, drove in one, helped organize one in northern California and drove in a modified format performance test. That's about the sum total of my competitive distance driving experience. So needless to say, man, we could use a lot of help.

The owner/manager of the facility is already thinking ahead (for an event next year) about where to find an experienced vet and volunteers (mostly P & R people) She is asking questions and I'm promising her I'll come up with resources! :o)

This is a REAL fun event. The endurance riders who had taken up driving and competed were hands down winners every time and declared they'd had a blast.

I'd sure love to see that enthusiam grow into a real sport here in the NW. There are other distance drives around the continent, but it's just never been developed around here.

Would love to invite anyone who is intrigued to get in touch. I can remember the sense of competence that the endurance riders brought to a completely new sport that even the organizers weren't sure about. And the fun they had was really infectious.

My email addy is lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you'd like to be kept informed of developments. We'd sure love to hear from you!

Thanks and best regards,

Barb Lee